Chapter 11 - The Infected

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Kenzi

I looked at the old set of rusty binoculars in my hand and sighed, letting them drop onto the ledge of the blind that I've been surveying from for the past hour.

Last night didn't go as I had originally planned, I'll admit it. I decided a couple of days ago that it would be best to stick to what I know and run, to get away from any ties or emotional connections again. I was sure Grace would have been tired from yesterdays shift and I was going to slip away easily... but I guess plans change. I was so sure that I wanted to get away from The Zoo and it's people, that I wanted to go back to not giving a shit about anything other than myself, but now I don't think that's a possibility.

I stood and stretched my stiff muscles before heading out of the old hunting blind, wandering slowly back towards camp. The wind today is harsh and blew wildly as I approached Grace, who was a stark contrast to the rather chaotic environment around us right now. She was sat comfortably slouched on an old deck chair by the pit of now smouldering embers, peacefully asleep and wrapped in an old stained blanket for warmth.

I leaned forward and carefully fixed the fallen part of the blanket to cover up her body, not wanting to disturb the girls slumber. Especially since I'm partly the reason she was up so late and I feel guilty about it.
I grabbed a few bits of kindling and some firewood to get the flames going in the fire pit again, seeing as it isn't throwing out much heat anymore. The wind however was deciding that we had other plans and made it a challenge to catch a spark from my flint. Eventually a stray spark took to the dry straw kindling and with a few strong huffs of breath, the warmth began to build and the wood on top caught in an orange flame.

I leaned back, still crouched and balancing on my toes, feeling a sense of pride at my achievement as I watched the fire travel along the various pieces of chopped wood.

"Good job! You're a real fire starter, eh?" Grace quipped in a teasing tone, causing me to fall backwards out of surprise and my ass to hit the ground with a thud.

"But I thought- Weren't you asleep!?" I responded in confusion as I stared at the girl in surprise.

"Nope. I was just too lazy to fix the fire..." She chuckled with a smirk "or the blanket so thanks, sweetheart" She further teased with a wink before laughing at my scowl.

"Shut up!" I said as I stood up quickly, feeling my cheeks begin to flush from embarrassment "You know, I was gonna do another hour on shift and let you rest... but since your smart ass is awake, you can get to work!"

"Boo! You're no fun!" She groaned before blowing a raspberry and violently stretching her limbs like a child whilst remaining seated on the chair.

I laughed at her idiocy and picked up a bottle of water to toss in her direction.

"Here" I said before successfully launching the bottle into her lap "I'll be over in about an hour, dumbass. Come get me if your worried about anything, you know the drill"

She nodded at my instruction with a smile before disappearing to begin her duties without another word.

This is exactly why I feel like I can't leave. Something about last night sparked questions in my mind. What if someone comes for her? What if something happens when I'm gone and no one but Chester is willing to fight for her? What if she had came looking for me and something worse happened?... wether I like it or not, it's not just me that I need to worry about anymore. Besides, Even if I did run, I'd just be taking those worries with me and I'm not sure I'd ever quit ruminating on the what ifs.

I sat on the chair that Grace had been occupying previously and decided that I'd follow her strategy in taking a cat nap. Rest is always a luxury when you're on duty. I didn't sleep much last night since I was plagued with guilt from planning to just disappear on everyone, so I settled with the ripped blanket Grace was using and closed my eyes, allowing sleep to take me away for a little while.