Chapter 21 - The City

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Kenzi

After yesterdays discovery Grace has been a bit quieter than usual. I can tell she's trying not to show how much her doubts and worries are affecting her, but she wears her heart on her sleeve, it's clear to anyone who's watching her long enough.

Last night she was discussing possibly getting a group together to try and locate one of The Compounds scavenging crews, way far out in the city where we first met. She wants to somehow talk with Zack and try to get some information about Deacon, but given that we can't just go knocking on their front door, it's a risky move that we'd need to inform Chester about. I tried talking her out of it, but for some reason she feels like Zack might talk to her after everything he heard Deacon say at the meeting. She's driving herself crazy by second guessing the stories and wondering when Deacon will inevitably retaliate.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that once Grace is set on something, that's it.

So here we are, sitting in Chester's office, relaying her half-cocked plan to somehow track and separate Zack from his new team in order to try and gain some information out of him.

"I'm not too sure about this, my girl... How do you even know that anyone will still be scouting that same route?" He asked her, evidently concerned by the idea.

"I'm sure of it, sir. It's the only route that Zack was taught before he was appointed as lead. I was supposed to show him the others but I left before I had the chance" She explained confidently "We won't do anything stupid and would only approach him if we felt it was safe... but I need to speak with him. I think he could help us"

He seemingly took her explanation and contemplated on the idea silently. Grace looked to me, hopeful that Chester would agree and allow us to go, but I honestly hope that he decides against it.

Not because I don't want answers, but because I don't want to risk Grace being captured by seeking those Compound rats out willingly.

"I seen the look on the boys face when Deacon erupted with his fountain of venom last week... I agree that he could be of use to us, but I won't allow you two to go alone. Take Darren with you for extra support. I fear that a larger team would only draw unnecessary attention" He began to command, this time in a firmer tone "You do not approach unless all three of you agree that it is safe. You separate the boy and kill no one. We don't need anymore bad blood making things harder. Is this Understood?"

We each nodded, Grace giddy with excitement for the opportunity, but I on the other hand am not feeling the same anticipation. I don't agree with the idea,it's dangerous, but I wouldn't dream of leaving Grace to go without me.

Chester finished by telling us to gather any supplies that we may need for the trip and to meet him by the front gate with Darren in an hour sharp. We did as such and stood with the boy, awaiting Chester's presence by the gate as the sun hit the middle of the clear spring sky, beaming it's unbearable heat directly onto us as we stood there.

"Jesus Christ" Grace said as she removed my fathers hat and ran her hand through her sweaty locks "Did it just get really fucking warm all of a sudden?"

"Nah dude, that's just what happens when you stand too close to Kenzi" Darren joked as he nudged her side teasingly.

"Good point, bro. Touché" " She agreed without a second thought, fanning herself with her hat and smirking widely at me.

"You guys are fuckin' stupid!" I scoffed as the two burst into laughter over my flabbergasted expression.

Moments later, Chester arrived to greet us and have a final chat before we part ways for now. I can tell by the way he's carrying himself that it isn't easy for him to allow this, but he's holding his doubts back.