Chapter 25 - The Decision

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Kenzi

I awoke this morning before the sun, with a heavy weight in my chest. The anxiety around todays announcement and subsequent vote is proving a difficult thing to ignore.

Both me and Grace aren't particularly talkative during breakfast, given that her future within the community isn't certain. If too little agree to fight against The Compound and protect Grace, then she's realistically faced with two options;

Return to Deacon

Or

Leave The Zoo... for good.

"Hey..." I whispered as I approached her sulking frame from behind, wrapping my arms around her tightly "Whatever happens, I'll be there"

She sighed, shaking her head before turning in my arms, facing me with the glow of the fire illuminating her from behind.

"I cant expect you to do that, Kenz" She replied, sadness laced in her words as they left her mouth "You know that your life is here. Chester is here... You have such an important role in this community. You can't just leave that behind"

Her words stung, despite the contrast of her gentle hands brushing the loose hair from my face. I had expected her to accept my statement for what it was, not to slap me in the face with the reality of the situation, but I can't find the words to argue her point.

I know my world will fall apart if she leaves, but can I really find the commitment to follow her? To leave Chester and the community behind after so long?

Yes- of course I would! What the hell am I even thinking!?

"It's okay, love... Like I said, I can't expect that from you, so I don't expect a response" She brought her lips to my cheek, lingering for a second as if she is scared to pull away "Let's just hope that people are willing to help..."

For some reason her words didn't sound sincere. Maybe she doesn't hold much hope for a positive outcome.

"I love you" was all I could manage before holding her head tightly to my chest, fighting back the tear that threatened to spill.

"I love you too" She responded softly, bittersweet "No matter what happens, just remember that"

After we had finished getting ready, we made our way to The Zoo, seeing as the meeting will be happening at some point in the next hour, we didn't want to waste time. I didn't let go of her hand, not even once.

Upon entering the gates, it was obvious that people knew something big was about to be revealed. There was already a group of maybe 30 people, varying in expressions, buzzing quietly about something as curious eyes flicked around, landing on us occasionally.

We continued through the crowd until a familiar voice rang over the constant noise, causing Graces head to snap sideways.

"Wait up- I have a question!" Erica yelled, pushing her way past a few people before coming to a halt in front of us, slightly breathless.

I looked towards Grace with a gaze that said 'don't do anything stupid' before Erica inevitably pisses her off. When she came to a halt in front of us, it was clear that her jaw and nose still aren't fully healed from their altercation.

Here we go...

"Is it true?" She asked, more toward Grace than me.

"Is what true?" Grace responded in confusion, letting go of my hand.

"Come with me..." She motioned us to follow her and we did, into one of the nearby buildings and away from the crowd.

Once inside, she placed her staff down and Grace did the same with her rifle before they faced each other.