Chapter 16 - The Echoes

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░ Grace
(TW// Mentions of guns, violence, death. Details of injury)

I turned to catch a glimpse of Kenzi as she ran back towards the tower, taking a deep breath before I pulled the side of the wooden sheet off the wall with all of my strength and slipped through the gap to the other side. Once I was isolated, I had a moment to think the plan through again and gather my composure.

"Okay, Grace. Get around there, signal for a distraction, get a gun and end this shit" I mumbled to myself before taking off in the intended direction.

I had to shake my head a few times whenever my focus dipped as I trudged through the dense woods. It feels like I'm fighting a feeling similar to sleep, except it's my conscious mind that is trying to close its eyes, not my body.
The rage only continued to try and gain full control as it seeped through my pores in the form of a cold sweat. Eventually, I approached my destination with my ears ringing and a familiar electric buzz starting to work its way up my muscles.

"Fuck! Get it together" I almost yelled to myself in frustration as I came to a halt by a large tree.

I quickly took cover and attempted to gather my composure before I spotted the first of the attackers, just ahead of me beyond the tree line. He seemed distracted by something in my direction, leading me to believe that he must have heard my little meltdown prior. This could however work to my advantage. Instead of alerting the other guy who is shooting wildly a few feet to the left of him, the large and dark clothed male began slowly making his way towards me, searching the area intently with his weapon aimed.

Little does he know, he's doing all of the work for me right now.

"Hey, asshole!" I barked quietly as he took a few steps past the tree that I was crouched behind.

I didn't have much time to think about my options as the guy quickly spun around to the right hand side of the thick wooden trunk, so I slipped stealthily to the left hand side and grabbed the barrel of his weapon, pushing the butt of the rifle harshly upwards into his nose with one swift movement. I managed to wrestle the gun from his hands, confidently taking it and aiming quickly down its fixed iron sight.

"Fuck! You little-"

I cut off his statement with a squeeze of the trigger, silencing him with a loud bang. I guess the whole 'signal for a distraction' is out of the window now, so I took a deep breath and spun towards the other men, all dressed in black, who are now turning their attention and bullets towards me.

I counted 5 of them before I took cover behind the tree once more, checking the clip to see how much ammo is left before I decide on my next move. Initially, I expected there to be more of them judging by the amount of firepower we could hear from inside the walls. My mind went hazy and the temptation to run out guns blazing became intense as I felt a murderous impulse eat at my thoughts, but I know that's the rage trying to control me again. I'll wind up dead or worse if I let that happen. Instead, I took a deep breath and ignored the bullets whizzing past me before peaking out and snapping my aim onto one the closest of the Wolves.

With a steady exhale and another squeeze of the trigger, the number of attackers became 4...

I repeated my actions, this time the bullet whizzed through the air and hit the next guy directly between the eyes. Bullseye.

3...

I swirled to the other side of the tree, taking aim at the next Wolf who just narrowly missed me with his final bullet. He stared at me, dropping his gun in fear as I pulled the trigger again.