even (e)

"Our siblings push buttons that cast us in roles we felt sure we had let go of long ago

"Our siblings push buttons that cast us in roles we felt sure we had let go of long ago." – Jane Mersky Leder
————————————————————

Chapter 35
<—————————————>

Maggie

"Are you nervous?" I questioned Luke, who was unknowingly proving my point.

His eyes jerked over to me. "Of course not." A scowl crept across his lips. "I'm a Vaudest, Maggie. Fake smiles and charming people is what I do."

"You're a Vaudest and a Palce," I corrected, catching his eye. "And, you don't have to fake anything with her. Granny likes anyone who brings her snacks, trust me. Plus, I...well, Jax has already told her all about you."

He nodded tightly, swiping his hands down his pants. I averted my gaze to the elevator doors, my mouth twitching at him.

Once they opened, we both walked through. I thought he'd want to see his mother, but he claimed that she was probably sleeping, which was strange, but I didn't question it or further him for more information.

Luke was hot on my heels, so to fuck with him, I stopped my footsteps abruptly. Luke nearly sent us both flying as he tumbled into my backside.

"I hate you," he hissed out from behind me.

I suppressed a fit of giggles before doing a triple, double, then single knock along the door. That was my code, specifically. Jax had another one that was too annoying to keep up with.

"Come on in, sunshine," I heard granny call out from behind the door.

I cast a quick glance at Luke, whose expression was tight with concentration. I chuckled, and after turning the knob, stepped into the room.

"Thank goodness. Those motherfuckers were trying to stick me, again, but I told them hell to the no. Even spelled it out, and...." Granny's voice fell when she saw Luke behind me. "Well, hello there."

Luke stepped from behind me, nearly shadowing a shy kitten to me, but a confident statue to anyone on the outside. "It's nice to meet you, ma'am." He had insisted on getting her an expensive gift, but I told him snacks would be just fine. And, he'd done that.

He handed her a bag so heavy, it was a miracle it didn't fall from the bed, a trophy-winning smile on. I recognized it from all the photos from the blogs. "Maggie told me that you'd like those. I hope you do."

Her eyes lit up as she peered inside the bag. I chuckled. He would be her favorite person from now on because of it.

I stepped past him to take my seat. "I told him not to get you so much. You shouldn't be having—"