Chapter Four ~ Punishments (And a Little Bit of Help)

Remember to Vote and Comment if you enjoyed 🤍

Anulei's POV

Anulei had tried and failed miserably to ride an Ilu at least ten times before giving up.

"I am never going to get this Tsireya." She had huffed and complained to the girl each time the Ilu got away. Eventually Tsireya gave in to the forest girl's pleading, and decided to wrap up their lessons for the day.

"C'mon, I have an idea to cheer you up. Let's go see what father has the boys doing as punishment."

It was not just Anulei who perked up at the idea, but Kiri and Tuk too.

The forest girls followed Tsireya as she led them to a more quiet and shallow part of the water. It was full of rock pools, with many children playing about, their parents watching as they harvested some seaweed.

"Can I go and play? Pleeaase!" Tuk whined, dragging out her words whilst shaking Kiri's hand back and forth.

Kiri thought for a moment, glancing at the sharp rocks in the water, "Fine, but be careful."

Tuk happily skipped away, and Tsireya gestured for Kiri and Anulei to continue following her.

She led them out of the water and onto the beach, where there were some trees and bushes providing shade.

Under the trees sat four boys, two Metkayina and two Omaticaya. In their hands were bunches of dried seaweed and plants.

Net weaving? That was their Punishment?

At her old home, Anulei spent a great amount of time weaving, whether it be nets, baskets, clothes or even bracelets. Something about the repetitive movement relaxed her, and she revelled in the feeling of accomplishment that came with creating something with her own hands.

The girls walked up to where they sat, and joined the four boys on the ground, pushing their way into the circle.

Anulei situated herself between Neteyam and Kiri, and glanced over at Neteyam's work.

She held back a laugh when she saw the tangled mess in his hands. "Wow. That is the ugliest net I have ever seen."

Neteyam glared, "You're the ugliest net I've ever seen."

The laugh escaped her lips this time, "That doesn't even make any sense."

"She's right, they really are horrible. A fish could swim right through this." Tsireya pointed at a large hole in Roxto's weaving. He huffed, and pulled the knot of seaweed close so she couldn't keep poking fun at it.

Kiri laughed quietly at his actions, and Roxto smiled softly in return.

Anulei could almost roll her eyes at how obvious the boy was, but what really pushed her to do it was the way Kiri didn't even notice.

From across the circle, Lo'ak noticed the movement, and the two shared a knowing smirk.

"I can't believe father punished us with net weaving like children." Ao'nung whined.