Chapter Five ~ The Student becomes The Teacher

Remember to Vote and Comment if you enjoyed 🤍

Anulei's POV

Late that afternoon, when Anulei was practicing her breathing on the beach, Tuk came rushing over.

"Anulei, will you braid my hair now?" She had kicked up some sand, but Anulei couldn't bring herself to be mad at the sweet girl.

"Alright, come on." She allowed herself to be dragged by the Omatikaya girl, all the way to the Sully's Marui.

Tuk greeted her mother and father, before plonking herself down on her sleeping mat.

"Neytiri, Jake Sully, it's nice to see you again." The couple smiled, greeting her in return.

Anulei moved to sit behind Tuk, and picked a braid to begin unravelling.

As she braided her hair, Anulei spoke with Neytiri.

"How are your lessons? Are you settling in?"

"Eywa does not think I have suffered enough, apparently." She joked, "But it's okay, I will get better."

The women smiled, it was comforting, before returning to the food she was chopping clumsily.

Anulei's attention returned to Tuk's hair. There were many different braids meaning different things in the Anurai clan, and she had chosen to do a braid that was often worn by young warriors.

It was more flat and wide than the cylindrical shaped of the Omaticaya braids, and as she reached the end, Tuk passed her the small talon bead. She threaded it into the hair, before tying it off.

"There. You're all done." She patted the top of Tuk's head, smoothing down the braid.

The girl excitedly grabbed the braid, feeling the talon hang from the end. "Thank you! Now I look just like you!"

Anulei grinned, but her smile quickly faded at Tuk's next words.

"You're turn now!"

Neytiri laughed quietly at the change in her expression, and Anulei sent her a pleading look for rescue.

Nonetheless, she allowed Tuk to move to sit behind her. She grabbed the loose piece of hair that Anulei had undone earlier that day, and began braiding it.

Tuk was not gentle, to put it simply, but she tried her best with the braid.

"Can I add a shell?" The girl asked. Anulei nodded, but instantly regretted it when the movement caused the hair to tug on her already aching scalp.

When Tuk was nearly finished, the two Sully boys entered the hut.

"Done with your punishment for the day?" Jake Sully raised an eyebrow at them.

They nodded, both looking down, obviously embarrassed by their fathers scolding.

Lo'ak saw Anulei being terrorised by his sister, and broke out into a laugh.

"Enjoying yourself?" He asked her after she winced from a particular hard tug.

"Lots." She spoke, her lips pressed into a fine line.