Chapter Fifteen ~ New Beginnings

Don't Ghost Read! Remember to Vote and Comment if you enjoyed🤍
Slight Suggestive Content Warning!!

Anulei's POV

A few weeks had passed, and a new season was falling upon the Metkayina people. It would be a time of birth and new life, seeing children grow and watching the passing of creatures through the reef.

The migration of one animal in particular, the oare'atan tísraw, held a deep meaning to the reef people.

Tsireya told them stories of the glowing blue jellyfish, recalling each year of her childhood they had visited.

"We send out boats with candles, and if you want, you leave a message on them. A letter to a passed one, a dream or even a confession." The Metkayina girls eyes had flickered to Lo'ak at her last words.

Anulei refused to look at Neteyam, keeping her eyes glued to the space above Tsireya's shoulders.

The creatures were set to pass through in a few days time, and the teens had been given the task of making the boats, and their messages if they want.

Anulei had been toying with the idea of beading together a message cord. She had a million messages she could write, all tangled together in her head, it was a matter of picking which one.

She was currently sitting with Kiri and Roxto, at the Cove of the Ancestors. Kiri wanted to make her message in a sacred place, which Anulei liked the idea of, and Roxto had taken to following Kiri around like a lost dire-horse.

Kiri was sitting in a lower rock, closer to the water, beading together a message to her late mother and humming under her breath.

Anulei say higher up with Roxto to allow the girl some privacy.

"Are you going to leave a message?" Anulei asked the boy, who was showing her how to carve out the wood for the boat.

"I think so. I haven't the past couple years." He shrugged.

"Who are you writing to? If you don't mind answering."

"Kiri." He bit his lip to hold back a smile, eyes glancing down to the girl to make sure she hadn't heard.

Anulei eyes widened slightly and a grin spread across her face, "That's sweet."

The two sat in silence for a while after that, taking in Kiri's song as they carved.

"I better be going, my grandmother needs me back before eclipse." Roxto stood, collecting his knife and nearly finished boat.

Anulei nodded, watching as he stood and walked down to where the other forest girl sat.

Roxto leant down to whisper to Kiri, who frowned slightly before wishing the boy goodbye. Anulei noted the blush that covered the boy's face as he spoke to the Sully girl.

Anulei couldn't help smiling, watching the young friends interact.

When Roxto had left, she climbed down to sit by Kiri, nudging her with her elbow.

"Soooo..." Anulei teased in a sing-song tone, making Kiri roll her eyes.

"You're like the annoying big sister I've never had." She huffed out.