Chapter Thirteen ~ I'll Kiss Where It Hurts

Remember to vote and comment if you enjoyed 🤍
Minor Violence Warning!!

Anulei's POV

The rest of the group were happy to hear the news of Me'ati's egg hatching. Kiri and Tuk wasted no time in rushing to the nest to have a look for themselves.

"I'm gonna go too." Roxto spoke, then turned to Ao'nung, "You coming?"

Ao'nung shook his head, and Roxto shrugged before wandering off in the direction of where Kiri had left.

Once he was out of earshot, Anulei let out a quiet gasp, "He is not going to make it up that tree."

Ao'nung let out a laugh, "Let him try, I suppose."

Lo'ak and Tsireya were no where to be found, leaving just Neteyam, Anulei and Ao'nung to sit together.

It was nice, to sometimes just have the oldest around. Kiri of course wasn't there, but even then her free-spirit made her seem younger, not to mention it put a few worry lines on both Anulei and Neteyam's face whenever she'd wander off.

"I'm bored." Anulei huffed, resting her elbows on her knees.

Ao'nung looked around, they were sitting on a quiet area of the docks, where they wouldn't be disturbed by adults walking past.

It was funny how they still crowded away from the prying eyes of the elder members of the clan, when they themselves were coming of age.

Anulei herself of course was freshly 18, considered an adult by many, but she didn't feel like it. She didn't feel like a day had passed since she turned 15.

Neteyam was only a few months from 18 now, maybe less, and Ao'nung just under a year; similar to Kiri and Roxto.

Anulei wasn't sure how to feel about it. Adulthood had always seemed so ideal as a child, something she couldn't wait to rush head first into.

But now it felt like all too much and all too little at the same time. At her home, she would've have begun or even finished the right of passage; becoming palulukan macto.

It was a ritual traditionally kept by the warriors, something Anulei never wanted to be, but as the first born of the Olo'eyktan and Tsahìk, it would've been her duty.

Not anymore, she supposes.

"What're you thinking about?"

Anulei looked up from the spot of water she had been staring holes into.

Neteyam and Ao'nung watched her, waiting for an answer.

She shrugged, "Zoned out, I guess."

Ao'nung accepted her answer, but she saw a look in Neteyam's eye that screamed 'let's talk later'.

She nodded subtly, and he looked away before Ao'nung noticed the exchange.

"So," Ao'nung spoke, "Need a cure for boredom, huh?"

~~~

"I'm not doing it."

"Oh yes you are." Ao'nung insisted.

Neteyam smirked at the two's exchange. They had climbed up part of the root systems, gaining a decent height.

"I'm not jumping from here, the net will break." Anulei looked at Ao'nung with a raised brow.

He rolled his eyes, "It's fine! My friends and I have done it a hundred times. It's fun, I promise."

Anule bit her lip, leaning over the edge of the branch to take a loot at the tightly woven netting below.