Chapter Eleven: Part One ~ The Spirit Tree (And What You May Find There)

Remember to Vote and Comment if you enjoyed 🤍
Split this chapter into two parts as it was approaching 6000 words, next part is longer and out within a few days!!

Anulei's POV

A couple weeks after Lo'ak's birthday, Anulei and Ao'nung were sitting on the edge of the pathways in the village, practicing sign-language. Well she was practicing, and he was there to fix her mistakes.

"Remember to bring the bait." He signed to her, making fake conversation.

"There is no bait left, let's make more later." She replied, a look of concentration on her face.

"I think we should do it now instead."

"I think that is a dumb idea. You are a dumb idea."

"Hey! I am not a dumb idea." Ao'nung protested.

"Ha! You broke the no-speaking rule. I win." She grinned, placing her hands in her lap.

"You can't win sign language, it doesn't work like that." He rolled his eyes.

She raised a brow, "Sounds like something someone who definitely just lost at sign language would say."

"Ugh. You're so annoying." He spoke light-heartedly, looking around the village.

"It's there anything else we can do? My fingers are getting tired."

Ao'nung thought for a moment, "We could go annoy the others? Surely they're done with their chores too."

Anulei nodded, and the two set out to find their friends.

They found Neteyam and Lo'ak cutting open some oysters outside their Marui, with Kiri and Tsireya sitting inside talking.

"Slow poke." Ao'nung pointed out, watching as the two Omatikaya boys were still completing their task.

"You do it then, fish lips." Lo'ak scoffed.

Anulei made her way inside the tent, sitting in between Kiri and Tsireya.

"I'm so bored guys, do you want to do something? And not something that uses fingers, mine are already tired from using them with Ao'nung." She huffed.

Kiri sent her a look, causing Anulei to reach over and lightly tap the back of her head, "Dirty mind, Kiri!"

The girl shrunk away from her hand, causing Tsireya to giggle.

"Oh! We could go to the spirit tree! It's the perfect night for it!" The Metkayina suggested.

Anulei felt her stomach drop and her smile vanish, and for some reason, Kiri's did too.

"Oh Kiri... I'm sorry, I completely forgot." Tsireya spoke gently.

Kiri nodded, and noticed Anulei's questioning eyes, "Dad's scientist friend Norm says I have epilepsy, connecting to the spirit tree will cause me to seize."

Anulei held herself back from rolling her eyes at the mention of sky people, "And you trust a sky person on that matter? What do they know about connecting with Eywa."

Kiri shrugged sadly, "I don't want to risk anything."

Anulei placed a hand on the girl's shoulder, "I'm sorry Kiri. I will stay with you when we go then, I don't need to visit the spirit tree today anyways."

Kiri smiled smally and nodded, "Thanks."

"We're going to the Spirit Tree?" Lo'ak's voice came from the entrance of the marui.