☠︎12

Carrie's pov

sitting at the dinner table listening to the people I loved talk about their day. Clarice and Raygan talked about trips on and outside of the wall Raygan's face had healed a nice faint pink line that cut down her face you could only see it in the proper lighting and if you were that close which nowadays only a handful of people got that close, days went by. we did our jobs ate, slept, and did the same things everyday Raygan walked around the compound on edge like she was waiting for the other shoe to drop we were safe here but she thought otherwise like it was too good to be true ''Red, Sinclairs looking for you" he pointed me in the direction I thanked him and we went our separate ways walking down the dem lit hallways of the compound Raygen was standing in front of her room she looked as she hasn't slept in days and that was never good.

Raygan's pov

waiting on Carrie was never easy I knew sending Connor to get her was a bad idea he could never stay on task but when Carrie walked fast down the corridor I knew he had followed orders ''You needed to see me?'' she questioned I nodded my head and opened my door and let her in ''what's all this about?" I looked at her then to the floor ''Dad's sending me on a recon mission I leave tomorrow morning'' I was looking her in the eye now ''alone?'' I laughed ''of course not Ryan is going with me he feels just as cooped up in here as me it will be good for us'' leaving was never easy. tears pricked her eyes as she pulled me into a hug ''you'll be back right?'' I hugged her tighter ''of course I'll be back, back before you know it'' she let me go and refused to look at me ''hey'' I grabbed her face in my hands ''if I could take you with me I would but my dad thinks it would be safer for you here. I promise I'll be back'' She looked at me then her feet then back to me ''okay you'll be safe right?'' I laughed at that ''I'm always safe'' she laughed and shook her head ''the hell you are!" I laughed and hugged her again I'll be back before you know it you can never get rid of me im not that easy to kill'' she laughed and let me go. ''tell Claire I said goodbye''

Two months later

I felt free to breathe again after the smoke in my lungs had left we had left the compound two months ago. and I have never been so alive I knew that if I didn't get out I might have lost my sanity I had left. being out on the road with Ryan might not look hard but he was the biggest drama queen that lived at one point I wanted to leave him on the side of the road but then again his fight or flight response is total ass ''where are we going now?" Rayan asked from the passenger seat wearing big sunglasses ''Donovan's farm is about 10 miles from here '' she flicked the list in her hand ''search for livestock'' they had cleared most of their list and only checked in once a week with the compound and only came in contact with two other people that were sent in the direction of the base

SIX Months later

we were finally done with everything loaded and ready to leave we had held up at Donovan's farm for nearly six months and eight months gone from the compound and now they were going back they had found 2 large dairy cows, a duck which gave Ryan a run for his money trying to catch him, and one horse all loaded in the trailer ready to go they had a pig they were after but had a run in with walkers and had to let it go ''you ready for this?" Ryan said looking at Raygan from the driver's side it was never fun returning to a place that felt like a prison. outside of the walls I was free... I had a feeling when we went back that something bad would happen it had been two weeks since we heard from my dad and all we got was static. my gut was telling me that everyone I've ever loved was dead and not to go back and find a new place safer but who was I kidding it was a military base what could be safer right? wrong.

Pulling into the gate we could tell the place had fallen half the building had been scorched fire had long been put out taking off my sunglasses and surveyed the grounds around me ''stop the truck'' I said opening the door before he even slowed down turning back to him ''back up and turn the truck around'' before pulling my knife holstered at my thigh and a flashlight out of the glove box ''where are you going'' Ryan said when he noticed I was walking towards the half burnt building ''I have to know Ryan'' I said as I opened the door and let it close behind me

inside looked like a slaughterhouse blood was everywhere

Raygans hands started to shake as she walked further into what she hoped wasn't the slaughter of her friends and family she had recognized very few of the dead she came across she was quiet and light on her feet making little noise making her way to her dads office if he was alive hed leave her something. rounding the corner she peeked her head around it and saw four zombies just standing there they were kind of sleeping but standing at the same time she carefully walked around the first and the second she was about to go around the third when she heard a door slam shut Ryan had finally decided he was going to join her in the loudest way possible she heard groans from the walker in front of her she quickly shoved her knife into its skull dropping it before she launched herself another holding it back with one hand as it pushed and snapped its teeth at her neck she grunts as she thrust her knife up with so much force it pops the zombies head clear off as she felt hands claw around her arms she racked her brain for all the self-defense her dad taught her in a split decision she grabbed the zombie by the shirt and flipped him over her shoulder dropping her knife in the process ''fuck!'' as the zombie slammed into the ground raygan had her boot on its chest pinning it to the floor as she saw movement out of the coner of her eye the forth zombie. she was going to die there was no was to defend herself. if she let go of the one she was holding it just turned on her it crept closer she was going to die and she accepted it. this was her fate she was going to die in a place she hated as the zombie got closer she could see Ryan at the end of the hall sprinting ''run!'' he yelled then I heard them. the groans and snarls and the snapping of teeth as Ryan was running he quickly killed the evening zombie that was closer before grabbing the knife off the floor and stabbing the walker on the floor before he grabbed her hand and started running.