six. violence

[ chapter six ]

SHE SAT THERE , watching mindlessly as the crashing waves soothed the pain in her mind- cooling the stress that weighed her down

SHE SAT THERE , watching mindlessly as the crashing waves soothed the pain in her mind- cooling the stress that weighed her down. She fiddled with a small dagger, her fingers tracing over the markings engraved in the weapon.

It was her mother's- surprisingly enough. Arwani was given it by her, she didn't want it anymore she so gave it away.

There was something else today that happened.

Her bow broke already with her feelings numbed, today many things had happened. She tried to express her interest during class, and her passionate interests and voice were silenced and brought down by seemingly innocent jokes she couldn't take at heart. She hated how she was so easily triggered by it- then diregarding her very normal reactions to 'jokes'.

Arwani who's 14 here, has a purple bruise near her forehead and temple and a bruise cut near her upper lip as she dissociated amidst confronting her problems. Her side part naturally covered it, so it didn't raise suspicion to any of the folks in her village- especially to the old ladies that adore her dearly.

The girl felt stupid. Numb too. Why must she have been so kind? Now she's seen as weak and picked on as well. To further explain, there were a couple things that should be kept in mind-

1) there weren't many girls that were born around the time she was born, most mothers had given birth to sons. So, she didn't really have same-age friends.

Arwani was pretty much alone.

2) Although, many people do like the girl's company they tend to shy away and avoid it all because of Anaera, her mother. The village's sea witch- phenomenal healing skills possibly better than a Tsahik's with the same poker attitude, snarky remarks made from her sharp tongue as well as the piercing glares she gave.

Arwani was the daughter of the sea witch.

3) Her father was an outcast to the Tayrangi clan who had found peace within their village ( a reason why her skin's a bit darker, her curls are a bit looser and why her eyes are much different to the Metkayina).

In their case, many tend to have misconceptions and have conclusions regarding the girl- none of this is truly deemed wrong or looked down upon but how some people who sparked gossip of it had youngsters avoiding her. So, many did find her presence to be nice but from observation alone, Arwani could tell they pitied her presence more.

The three factors of why she makes a reasonable target to bully on and why the adults cared less for her well being- Arwani was a freak. And how so, was that she wasn't confrontational, and was gentle and naive as well as simply outnumbered.

She sighed. Her father's sword resting on her lap, in its leather sheath. The heavy weight applying a certain pressure within her legs that keeps her whole body and mind grounded in the moment. Her nose was red, cheeks puffy with a bloated face and eyes from shedding quiet tears before this.