nine. closer look

[ chapter nine ]

NETEYAM FELT WARMTH RUSHED throughout his whole body

NETEYAM FELT WARMTH RUSHED throughout his whole body. The boy's stomach is rather fluttery, spinning so much he didn't know it could do that. He wondered how he got himself up in this situation knowing damn well it was on him.

" There, " He lifted a bit Arwani's extended hand and straightened it. Her eyes were big when watching and waiting for his instructions, Neteyam looked at her for a moment.

" Is something wrong? " She asks, innocently.

" No- maybe? I-it's nothing- actually. " The younger latter sputters ridiculously not finding the words to describe his situation, he fingers then gently caressed her eyelids closed.

Her expression knitted in confusion, eyes still closed not daring to close them after the boy had closed them for her. She commented, sarcasm dripping down her words. " I dont think you are supposed to close your eyes. "

" Arwani, you can open them but don't look at me- "

" -look at the target. I get it, that's how this stuff works. We're not under a rock, we're inside one." Referring to their space of practice for the meantime.

She opened them, to find Neteyam gone from her sight but then the sudden hot breath near her ear and the gentle and very tendering hands that pulled her shoulders a little bit back eased her worries of her buddy disappearing in thin air.

" By the branches, " He whispered. His finger then tilts her chin a bit to face it, and forwardly tuck a small piece of hair behind her ear.

Neteyam did it regardless of the heat creeping on his cheeks, Arwani seemed to be oblivious of his actions— narrowing her eyes and tugging on the string then releasing the arrow. Launching to hit the target, a little bit discentered.

He smiled, applauding the girl whilst she lowered his bow. As he remembered a small memory, he grabbed her hands and applauded it for herself— spinning her to face him.

Yet, she didn't spare a glance his way. Her eyes dead fixated on the target she shoots, the discentered coloured arrow seemingly taking her space of attention.

Neteyam didn't note it to her, keeping silent first. His head tilted a bit, fully looking at her that she tried so hard to look away— licking her lips, she only nodded her head and Neteyam finally noticed glossy eyes.

The smile of his slowly faded. " Arwani? "

" I'm fine. " The girl hurriedly says, trying to mask her obvious upset behaviour. The Metkayina girl herself doesn't understand why she's feeling so overwhelmed in the moment of this.

Perhaps, she had figured it out but didnt want to directly spell it to herself— perhaps, the feeling of firing an arrow brought such memories; especially the promise of learning to do archery after her father's wishes. Except, the promise was chained unaccomplishable because it had been broken.