Wish

Mirabel and Abuela usually didn't fight. Mirabel just let everything slide off her with her fake smile. Trying to please her grandmother. Abuela usually just didn't give Mirabel enough attention to even notice her enough to get mad at her.

Today though Mirabel had gotten notice and not in a good way. She had been coming down the stairs as she always did, she was sliding down with Casita's help. But today was not like other days as her shoe seemed to break, causing her to tumble and trip. She tripped and slammed right into Abuelo Pedro's portrait.

The ripping sound echoed throughout Casita.

Abuela followed the sound and came to see an incredibly guilty looking Mirabel laying down next to the ripped portrait.

All hell broke loose.

Shouting erupted in Casita.

Julieta, Pepa, Agustin, and Felix dropped what they were doing in the kitchen to rush to see what was happening.

The shouts drew all the grandchildren from their rooms in confusion at what was causing this reaction from their grandmother. All of them came out only to hear the last thing Abuela yelled red face to a close to tears Mirabel kneeling into front the ruined portrait of Pedro, "I don't understand why you aren't like the rest of the family! I don't understand why you have to break and ruin things! But I do know I wish I had another granddaughter that had a gift!"

Everyone gasped at this.

The tears fell freely down Mirabel's face as she ran back up the stairs not looking at her cousins or sisters and slammed the nursery door.

"Mama! How could you even say that?!" Julieta screamed at her mother.

"Ay! Mama that is too far!" Pepa pointed at her mother as a storm cloud appeared above her head.

"Alma, that was just cruel," Felix commented as he stood next to his wife.

Agustin sent a glare at Abuela as he ran up the stairs to check on Mirabel.

"You saw she did!" Abuela argued angrily as she looked at the destroyed portrait of her dead husband.

Dolores leaned over the banister and said, "But it was an accident Abuela, I heard her shoes snap."

They all glanced at the broken pink shoe next to the painting.

Luisa and Isabela looked at eachother then at their father and cousin Antonio as they were knocking on the door asking her if they could talk. They got no answer.

"I don't think she's going to want to talk for a while," Camilo noted as he glanced slightly angry at Abuela.

"Mama, apologize to Mirabel. That was cruel and harsh," Julieta demanded as she pointed at the portrait, "It was an accident and I'm sure she's sorry. I know that was Papa's portrait but Mirabel is your granddaughter and she wouldn't do that on purpose."

Abuela didn't want to apologize, it was her Pedro's portrait and Mirabel had destroyed it! Her carelessness that was caused by her lack of a gift did this. She only ran around like this cause she is always trying too hard because of her lack of a gift and getting in the way of everyone. But that was still her granddaughter, and she was extremely in the wrong for saying those words.

"Aye, you're right. When she comes out I will apologize."

With that everyone went to the dinning room to eat dinner and wait for her to come out.

She didn't. They ate dinner and waited, she didn't come out. Julieta and Agustin tried to talk to her, she didn't answer and Casita refused to open the door for them. Antonio eventually tried to knock on the door to try to get her to open it for him so he could go to bed, but there was no reply.