Abuela

Abuela stared in anger at the fruit and mud covered Isabela and Casandra.

"What is happening is fun, Abuela," Cas laughed as she got up from the ground.

Isabela did too but she looked scared, glancing fearfully at Abuela.

"Fun?! You caused a scene! Look at what you did to your sister!" Abuela snapped angry at all the eyes on the two, "Mirabel you have to-"

A gasp went through the crowd as Abuela realized what she had said.

Casandra gave Abuela a look that could only be described as cold, "I think we've established I'm not Mirabel. But nice to know you're still so quick to blame her."

"Stop it Casandra! You're hurting the family! You're embarrassing us!" Abuela hissed at the girl, she didn't mean to do that. It had just come out.

"I'm hurting the family?" Cas asked in complete disbelief, "The only reason I'm here is cause you looked at Mirabel and told her you wished you had a different granddaughter."

An even bigger gasp went through the crowd and everyone started whispering in the crowd.

Abuela looked around at the crowd but her eyes narrowed in on her daughters' upset faces, "Casandra, lets talk about this more in Casita."

"Why? Cause you don't want everyone to know about our family's problems?" Cas snarked her hazel not leaving Abuela's brown.

"Leave my family out of this! You know nothing about them!" Abuela stomped her foot in anger.

Before Abuela could blink suddenly Cas was up in her face, "I know nothing about them? I know more about them than you!"

Abuela tried to move but found herself moving in slow motion as Cas' eyes lit but green like Bruno's.

In a deeply unnerving calm voice Cas started talking, "I know that Julieta spends day and night cooking and is constantly tired. I know Pepa is constantly worried she might cry a little too much and create a storm. I know Bruno would go into a panic attack if he ever had an unplanned vision. I know Isabela is living a lie because she's afraid to disappoint you. I know Dolores was going to let the man she loved married her cousin because of the same reason. I know Luisa is being overworked and afraid to ever show weakness. I know Camilo is starving because of how much energy his power uses. I know Antonio is afraid he's not going to get a gift cause of how you all treated Mirabel."

With a wave of her hand Abuela could move again and she gasped for air and Cas was now standing a good distance away from Abuela. Everyone in the group was staring at Cas now with a look of fear.

Julieta and Pepa rushed forward to their mother to check on her but Abuela simply looked at Casandra letting all the words she said sink in. No, no not all of that was true right? Right? She would have noticed all those things. But she remembered Dolores' tears and how Camilo shut down, she glanced over at the still fearful looking Isabela now standing next to her sister and father.

"And....I know...." Cas said in a tired voice, "Why Mirabel didn't get a gift and how she cried every night about it. Even though nothing was ever wrong with her...But would knowing that now really make a difference Abuela?"

With that Cas disappeared.

The whole town just stood in shock as they watched the Madrigal Matriarch broke down crying.

....

Abuela sobs hadn't calm down by the time the Madrigals had made it home. But Antonio had glomped himself to her as support.

When they entered they were surprised to see Casandra on the stairs eating an apple and reading a book. She waved at them and closed the book.

No one knew what to do for a moment. They stood silently looking at the teenager that had more or less shifted the entire family dynamic over the last couple of days.

Abuela stepped forward, "You...know why Mirabel doesn't have a gift?"

Cas gave a glare, "That shouldn't be the first question, Abuela Alma."

The coldness in her voice was a shift from the playful voice she had with Isa earlier, the kind voice Agustin and Julieta remembered, the patient voice she had with Dolores and Antonio. It was scary.

"Your right It's not but I need to understand," Abuela tried to explain herself.

"No you don't. You just love her, that's your job," Cas huffed, sounding fed up, "Just like you loved her when she was born. Like how you all loved me when I was born. The gift is just being able to be a part of this family. The family is the miracle."

As Cas said those words Abuela looked at her and in that moment the sad look on her face looked exactly like the look Mirabel's face every time she tried to spend time with her grandmother after her gift ceremony.

The sobs started in full force again this time with apologizes, "I'm the one that hurt time family. Oh, god Mirabel I'm sorry. I never meant it. Your a wonderful granddaughter."

With that Cas watched the family swarm Abuela trying to soothe her.

Casandra just went up the stairs and into her room not another word to anyone, she didn't want them to see her cry either.

.....

Mirabel gasped at the end of the book she was reading, "What? No!"

Casita rippled the floorboards amused at her reaction, "Casita hush I'm in shock at that ending. Thalia is back in the story!"

Mirabel got up and walked over to the stacks of books that Jaime had given in to read so they could talk about them. This Percy Jackson series was very interesting, though she had to make notes while reading to ask Jaime later as she was unsure about some of the things mentioned. She put down the book and picked up the next in the series, it was a lazy day she could do that.

"Mira! It's time for dinner!" Mateo called banging on the door.

"Coming! Don't bang on my door!" Mirabel called back as she paused and glanced at the door.

Her door which held her glowing image and name. Her standing proudly with the candle in her hand.

Mirabel smiled brightly as she opened her door and left her room.