Julieta

Julieta was a good mom. That wasn't in doubt. That will never be in doubt.

But as she looked at the bruise forming on Cas' cheek as she opened the door she was at a lost.

"I'm not apologizing, Ma," Cas immediately said as she took the arepas Julieta was holding and let her in the room.

Julieta stepped in the room for the first time and looked around the room in amazement. It was beautiful....and lonely. Something about the room just felt empty. It reminded her of Bruno's room. Julieta shook her head trying to banish the thoughts. She hated when she saw the similarities between Bruno and Mirabel, and seeing them now with Cas made it even worse.

"I'm not expecting you to, Casandra," Julieta replied as she watched Cas sit down on her bed to eat an arepa. Julieta noted the dark green blanket that looked like it was made to look like Bruno's ruana, "But, I want you to consider what we're going threw with Mirabel and you swapping."

Cas swallowed the arepa and Julieta watched the bruises and cuts disappear from her body, "None of you bothered asking me what I know. Heck, besides Antonio you're mostly ignoring me. Is this how you treat Mirabel?"

Julieta remained silent. Did they? She thought hard. She didn't know. She was so busy but....she was there for her daughters right? Right? Tears poured in her eyes.

"Am I a bad mother?" she started crying.

"Shit," Cas muttered as she shot up and grabbed Julieta's hands, "No, no! You're a great mom! You just have a lots of responsibility and weight. Sometimes things slip through."

Julieta looked at Cas' faces and the sad smile, "Mirabel is my baby and she's gone....Cause I never stood a real stand against Mama."

"Well, Abuela is pretty scary," the teenager tried to joke but as she looked at Julieta's distressed face she got more serious, "You know you tell me all the time about how I have a wonderful brain, big heart, and cool glasses?"

That little smile appeared on Julieta's face, "I say that to Mirabel too."

A little shock appeared on Cas' face but then a truly soft smile bloomed, "I bet you did. Anyway, I'm still a Madrigal. Just ask me if you have any questions, okay?"

Julieta calmed down a little and brushed some of Cas' messy hair behind her right ear and paused, "So, Cas. How different is your world from ours? Do I have the same gift? Is the family the same?"

"Hmmm," Cas thought for a minute, "Yeah, basically swap me for Mirabel and it's the same structure. Same gifts. I'm not as close to Antonio for example since I didn't share a room with him. Isabela and Luisa aren't as stressed since I help with chores too."

Julieta knew she was lying and at that moment Julieta knew, this girl wasn't her daughter. Not in any world. Because if that was true, why did Cas have a scar over right eyebrow? Right there usually hidden by her hair was a small scar which if she was eating food Julieta had cooked most of her life wouldn't be there. Trying not to draw attention, she glanced down at her Cas' hands.

Light scars were on them as well. Simple little nicks. Things never on her daughters' hands, because they ate some of Julieta's food everyday. Something that apparently Cas didn't.

Julieta looked at the girl, looked at the person claiming to be her daughter and gave her one more chance, " Casandra, do you have any idea on how you and Mirabel could switch back?"

"Mama, I'm just as confused as you are. Honest," Cas replied as she moved to eat another arepa, "Maybe, you all need time to miss her or something. I know mine must be missing me."

She really wished she believed Cas but Julieta just couldn't anymore. Julieta nodded regardless and leaned in and gave the girl a kiss.

"I'll bring some dinner up later."

"Thanks, Ma."

Julieta left the room and Cas huffed.

"Fuck," Cas cursed as glanced at where she had her hidden door, "Why is this getting so complicated? Mirabel owes me."

....

The Madrigals, minus the asleep Antonio and still locked in her room Cas, sat at the table as the discussed today's events.

Alma looked down at the picture again, "I don't recognize either boy."

"None of us do," Camilo complained as he ate more food, after the talk with his parents he was being allowed to eat till he was full.

Dolores squeaked and pointed to the older of the two boys, "He has hair like Tia Julieta."

Everyone raised their eyebrows, looked at the picture, then at Julieta who was being rather quiet. Their hair did have the same floof to it.

"Are you implying this boy is also Julieta's?" Abuela asked confused.

Dolores shook her head, "She said her siblings are still only Isa and Luisa. I'm not sure maybe...maybe the boys are Bruno's in her world?"

That caused thunder above Pepa's head, "Cas told me Bruno isn't around in her world."

"I think she's not being truthful," Julieta admitted, causing all of the table to turn to her.

"Mi Amor?" Agustin asked, surprised.

"She looks like Mirabel, says all the right things, knows the right things, has a gift but...." the oldest of the triplets tried to explain, "But something is off. Like she'll miss speak sometimes. Like she's not use to all of us. I honestly don't think she's our daughter."

The table was silent as they took that in.

Dolores pointed to the photo, "while talking to me she said offhandedly about being protective of her siblings. She corrected herself to make it sound like she was talking about Isabela and Luisa but at first it did sound like she meant little brothers."

"She did mention something about a Jaime and Mateo," Pepa muttered as she looked at the photo again narrowed in on Cas' green clothes.

"Even if she's Tio Bruno's kid that doesn't explain anything," Isabela groaned as she remained glaring at Cas' door, "Like that 2nd door Camilo saw or we're Mirabel went."

That was the most important thing now. Getting Mirabel back.

"I'll try talking to her next," Abuela said as she stood up, "Tomorrow me and Cas will have a talk."

....

Mirabel smiled as Jaime and Mateo ran past her and into the living area.

"You can go play with them if you want," Abuela said as she continued chopping up the vegetables.

"I don't mind Abuela," Mirabel replied as she watched Casita move the seasoning to her, "I would feel bad if I didn't help while cooking. I have done nothing but embroider all day."

"And the blanket looks amazing and I'm sure the baby will love it," Mariano commented as he and Antonio walked by to set the table.

"He's right," Antonio agreed, trying to be very careful with the glasses he was holding.

Luisa came into the room followed by her husband Edgar, "Smells amazing."

"Thanks," Mirabel and Abuela replied together.

"Also, I went ahead and let Gabriela in," Edgar explained as he moved to help Mariano and Antonio, "She was hoping Cas was back."

"No, but let's invite her to dinner," Abuela replied as she gave Mirabel a hug, "She might as well be a Madrigal at this point with how Cas and her act."

Mirabel hummed as she continued cooking wondering how her Abuela and family were treating Cas.