Four

Chapter 4
Big Steps

____________*''°'·¿~'··______________

The Curious Death of Mysterio...

Jesse Peréz was good at his job. In fact he was at the top of his team, knocking out cases like they were a piece of cake - yet this one case - this one was quite a piece of work. The detective skimmed through files, scanning each and every last one of the documents, allowing each one to just about give him a migraine. He just couldn't understand it. The curious death of Mysterio beamed all around the city of Queens, along with everyone making their debatable opinions on what had in fact occurred that day. And even though an annoyed Margot Morena, and a weary Peter Parker have claimed their innocence, it still wasn't enough. He had been in his spacious office, checking out their reports for several hours, missing out on sleep, just to search for a new lead of evidence - yet to no luck. A part of him was even wondering if he just enlisted himself to crack a good case - or to just to make the love of his life's problem child of a daughter, like him instead of seeing him as "the enemy."

"Knock, knock!" Slightly caught off guard, his gaze on the documents instantly turned away towards the feminine presence standing at his opened door. Elizabeth Morena, wearing her work scrubs, stood with her back against the door with her head cocked to the side at him, a grin coursing her lips. "Hey, babe."

He then greeted her with a grin in return. "Hey. What are you doing here?"

"Your chief allowed me to stop by and see you," She explained before fully entering the office. "Brought you some Chinese takeout." She waved a bag of food in his face with a deviant grin.

Jesse shook his head. "Maybe later, I can't right now -" But the alluring smell of soy sauce and white rice (along with his growling stomach) quickly made him change his mind. "Okay, maybe just a bite won't hurt."

Both chuckled.

"I'm surprised you're off from the hospital so early." He commented before grasping a hold of his chopsticks to pick up the savory chicken he'd soon devour in his mouth.

"Ugh!" Elizabeth groaned before pulling out a chair to plop herself down in front of him in frustration. "I had to clock out earlier than usual. The paparazzi showed up with cameras, asking me about this whole Mysterio Death - or what would drive Margot and Peter to do it - it's really frustrating..."

Jesse began to open his mouth to speak, but Elizabeth instantly cut him off to rant, "I mean... I am not a bad mom - right? I always try to do what I can for her, and it's only been a couple of weeks since we finally started bonding like mother and daughter -"

"You are an amazing mom, babe," He genuinely pointed out to the worried woman. He then slid his hand across the desk over to her to entwine his fingers with her own. "I mean that."