Eight

Chapter 8
The Wizard, The Spider, & The Snarky Raven

Chapter 8The Wizard, The Spider, & The Snarky Raven

__________*'·~''·°¿¡^~''·___________

♪When I was young... I never needed anyone.... And making love was just for fun.... Those days are gone... Living alone... I think of all the friends I've known... But when I dial the telephone... Nobody's home...♪

"All by myself...Don't wanna be...All by myself...Anymore!" Margot Morena sat in the passenger's side of the vehicle, her ears piercing at the sound of her mother, Elizabeth Morena's terrible singing as she sped down the road in her old, rusted minivan, steering the wheel with one hand, while tapping her finger onto the dashboard with the other to keep up with the saddened rhythm of every Celine Dion playlist she could shuffle through her old mixtapes for. The two mother and daughter were making their way down Bleecker Street, near the Sanctum Sanctorum to meet up with Peter Parker, and his aunt, May after the sudden confrontation with Norman Osborn, who apparently accompanied the Parker's in some moving truck for disguise. Noticing her daughter's questionable stare at her, Elizabeth sheepishly lowered the volume of it and continued her focus on the road up ahead.

She cleared her throat. "So, uh, Grandma didn't want to come with us?"

"Of course not," Margot eventually spoke, a rolling look in her eyes. "She got an Uber. As she said, she wouldn't be caught dead riding in a car cheaper than her Louis Vuitton bags."" She began motioning her hands around in the air like a talking puppet to mimic her snobby grandmother in a shrill voice.

"Yeah... she's like that, huh?" Elizabeth let out a saddened chuckle.

Nodding slowly at her mother, Margot then asked, "So, where are we staying now?"

"I spoke with Pepper earlier," Elizabeth had begun to explain, swerving the car into another lane to take. "She found us this apartment upstate. I saw the place, and it's huge - you're gonna love it, I promise!"

"As long as I can have a room all to myself, then I'm happy with that!" Margot wiggled her finger in her mother's direction with a snicker. Her smile then slowly disappeared into a frown. "Seriously, Mom, are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine!" Her mother waved her off with one hand, while keeping her other gripped around the steering wheel. "Jesse's gonna bring all of our stuff to the new apartment. I told him that I would have done it, but he insisted he'd help..."

Margot could just see the sadness glistening in her mother's eyes as she noticed her sniffing back tears. And just as she opened her mouth to speak, her mother cut in, "Y'know... sometimes when you love someone, you just... have to put that love aside to do what's right. Not just for yourself, but even for something... beyond that."

Margot's eyes twitched in surprise of her mother's response. "You... love him?"

"Yeah. I do," Elizabeth confessed, tightening her grip around the steering wheel. She wiped away a small tear that slowly escaped from her eyes with her sleeve and sniffled before glancing at Margot briefly with a cracked smile. "But hey! It's just you and me now, huh? I have you and that's all that matters to me right now."