chapter two

principal office,

   "—Elizabeth." The Officers greeted me as they sat me in a chair. I was next to be interrogated. At this point, the entire school had been asked questions about Casey and Steve. These cops really think they'll crack some kid that easily. I'm sure whoever did it isn't that stupid to confess and mess up their little story, which is why an allibi is always necessary.

"How is everything?" The Officer asked me softly.

—"Good" I simply replied. Last time I'd been in one of these situations, it was to talk about my brothers suicide and why he did it.

"And your parents? How're they doing?" Deputy asked.

I stared at him with the darkest stare, "We're fine. Thanks"

—"We know this situation can be uncomfortable for you, but we need answers, Liz." Dewey spoke up. He was Tatums brother. The only cop I'd openly talk to.

"Elizabeth, were you very close to Casey Becker?" The deputy asked me.

  —"No." Was all I said. Sucking on a lollipop as they continued with their investigative questions.

"And were you home the night they were murdered?"

"Yes. Would you like the rated R explanation too?" I furrow my eyebrows at the Deputy who widened his eyes to my reply.

  —"Okay, enough questions." My Principal spoke, allowing me to exit my chair and reach for the door.

"Wait! Elizabeth— do you happen to like hunting by any chance?" The Deputy spoke. His question was so unnecessary but made sense to the murders of Casey and Steve. They were gutted, like a pig or an animal someone would hunt for food. Of course they're asking these types of ironic questions.

"Depends on the animal, Deputy." I replied, exiting the office and returning on with my school day. 

— The bell rings for lunch, gathering all students to finally relax past the interrogations and given opportunities to discuss the gruesome murders.

"Elizabeth! Hey." My arm was pulled slightly back to come face to face with Ryder Kennedy. We've been casually hooking up for about a month now, but I hate him more than I like him. He used to be best friends with my brother, till he unfriended him for no reason and bullied the shit out of him with Marcus Henderson. I'm only having sex with him now, to get answers on why he unfriended my brother.

   "Oh, Ryder. What's up?" I stared at the boy with my arms crossed. I could feel my entire friend group staring at me as I talked to the smiling boy.

"Your house, tonight?" He confidently asked. The ego he had was quite large. His confidence spoke louder than anything else, but I wasn't the only girl around for him and his needs.

  "Sure. But, I take the lead." I lightly kissed the boy on the cheek who was now blushing. I smiled in satisfaction knowing how easy it is for me to fluster any boy in this high school.

"—Was that sex talk?" Tatum wiggled her eyebrows once I approached my friend group.

"Of course it was, what else would it be?" I winked at the girl. Stu high fives me while scooting over for space, allowing me to sit in between him and the on edge Sidney. Billy remained with a straight unimpressed face as per usual, only because he hates Ryder just as much as I do for what happened last year. He just promised not to get involved with my sex life now that he was dating Sidney.

   "Hey, did the police ask if you like to hunt?" Stu turned to me, shrinking his brown eyes as the sun shot directly into them.

"Yeah, they did. It's an ironic question." I shrug.

"Why would they ask you if you like to hunt?" Tatum innocently spoke.

-"Cause their bodies were gutted." Randy popped a grape in his mouth. Sidney shook the shivers down her spine after he mentioned it.

—"Thank you, Randy." Billy sarcastically said.

"They didn't ask me if I like to hunt." Tatum propped her leg up onto Stu's while staring between us after her realization.

—"That's 'cause there's no way a girl could've kill 'em" Stu turned to the girl.

"That is so sexist. The killer could easily be female. Basic Instinct?" She referenced to prove her point. Their argument made me laugh to myself while pulling out my cigarette. Just to spare Sidney some more in a time like this, I pulled myself onto the floor and laid against my backpack so the smoke wouldn't hit her face like it usually does.

"Casey and Steve were completely hollowed out. And the fact is, it takes a man to do something like that." Stu argued back. He is slightly sexist at times, I can totally see a woman killing them in the exact same way, it just takes guts and strength to do so.

"—Then why'd they ask Elizabeth if she likes to hunt?" Tatum smirked at the boy, stumping him.

"Elizabeth is as physically strong as a man is. Everyone knows she's strong and terrifying, that considering her to be the killer is an understatement." Stu explained. Most students in this high school already fear me from past fights I got myself into, and the entire deadly demeanour I display. Stu was right, to be considered the killer is an understatement.

—But I didn't do it.

"Hi do you.... gut someone?" Sidney switched the topic unexpectedly. I turned to the girl from below, giving her the most confused expression possible. Everyone did the same, not knowing how to respond.

"You take a knife— and you slit 'em from groin to sternum." I answer slowly, smoking more of my cigarette into the clear sky. Sidney shook even more to the thought, yet she was the one who asked the disturbing question.

"Hey. It's called tact, drop it Elizabeth." Billy kicked my backpack slightly, getting me to remain quiet. The look on Stu's face said otherwise, so at least someone was amused by my explanation. It was concerning to see Billy unimpressed, when he thoroughly enjoys horror movies like I do.