6 | Caramel

When you wake up the next morning, you find yourself still in Bokuto's arms

When you wake up the next morning, you find yourself still in Bokuto's arms. You call to him quietly, but no response tells you that he's still asleep.

Instead of waking him, you gently sit up and cover him in the blanket nearby. It is Sunday morning, after all, and you're pretty sure the diner won't be open at all so there's no rush in waking him up.

You write a quick note to him, saying that you've gone home and you'll be right back. You leave the note right beside him on the couch and check on him once more before walking out.

Since your house is right next door, it's only a matter of seconds until you're in your own home. Your mother is in the kitchen reading a book and your dad is nowhere to be found.

"Y/N, you're home!" your mother smiles excitedly when she looks up and sees you. "What're you doing here? This is such a nice surprise!"

"I stayed at Bo's last night. I got a call saying that his grandpa was in the hospital and I drove him home after that. He's still asleep right now," you explain to her as you get closer. You then hug her and make your way toward the refrigerator for a drink.

"Maybe we could make him some breakfast and bring it over. How about some pancakes like Grandpa makes at the diner," she smiles.

"I think he'd like that," you respond. "Do we have any pancake mix left?"

"We sure do," she smiles. "I bought some for the next time you came home. You and your dad used to always make them together."

"That reminds me, where is he?" you ask, hoping you won't live to regret it.

Your mother sighs as she pulls the ingredients for the pancakes together. "Oh, you know him. I haven't seen or heard from him since Friday night. I wish he'd tell me where he goes."

"Did you two fight again?" you ask as she turns on the stovetop.

"That's all we know how to do nowadays," she shakes her head.

"It doesn't seem that way when I'm home," you shrug.

"It's different when you're around," she admits. "It's more peaceful when you're here but when you're at school it's like dealing with a whole other person."

"I'm sorry mom," you shake your head as she flips the pancakes over. "I wish there was something I could do."

"It's okay, Y/N. People just grow apart sometimes. That's part of life," she tells you as she slides a few pancakes onto a white plate. She then wipes her hands off on the hand towel nearby and places her hands on your shoulders. "But we both love you very much, Y/N. You make us so happy that even though we don't get along, we still can when you're around. You're such a blessing, Y/N."

"I'm sorry I'm not around as much anymore, Mom," you sigh.

"It's not your fault, darling. You have school. Your future is on the line. I shouldn't be burdening you with all of this," she shakes her head.