26 | Mahogany

When you wake up the following morning, you stare straight up at your ceiling

When you wake up the following morning, you stare straight up at your ceiling. The room is quite bright. You must've forgotten to close the blinds to your window last night.

As you roll over to your side, you see that Phoebe's bed is still made. Well, made enough for you to be sure she hadn't slept there last night. She probably stumbled in with some guy, realized you were dead asleep and went off to his room instead. Just surmising from past experiences.

It's then that you remember your conversation with Kuroo last night.

"Then before it's too late, Y/N, talk to him," he had said.

You groan and dig yourself deeper under your blankets, trying to come up with one good reason not to listen to Kuroo's good advice. Unfortunately, nothing comes to you. Nothing good, that is, before your phone starts buzzing.

Begrudgingly, you pull your head out of your sheets and reach for your phone beside your bed. There, you see a text from Bokuto.

Bokuto: Hey. Do you think you could come work a shift today?

"Dammit," you whisper to yourself. Working a shift is honestly the last thing you want to do right now. But you did promise him you'd help out when he needs you. And you know he really needs it.

Though you aren't particularly excited about it, you agree to work the shift and get out of bed. You rush right for the bathrooms, taking a good long shower to wake yourself up before getting dressed and driving down to The Jukebox.

"Hey!" Bokuto waves to you as he walks away from a table with a few dirty dishes in one hand.

"Hey, be careful with that. You're going to drop those," you sigh as you take the top two from his pile.

"Y/N, I do this all day. Every single day. I know what I'm doing," he smiles.

"You say that until you trip on a kid's toy or someone's jacket. Practice doesn't guarantee you'll never fall," you explain as you follow him into the kitchen.

"Well either way," he continues as he places the dishes into the sink and hands them off to Al, "I really appreciate you coming here this morning on such short notice. Marlene called in sick so it's just the three of us. You, me, and Al."

"Shit, you should've said that and I would've come quicker!" you groan. "Come on, Bo. You take too much of this on your own shoulders. I'm here to help you, okay? Whenever you need it. And the others are, too."

"Do you think maybe you could call Akaashi and see if he could help out then?" he asks a bit nervously. "Maybe Phoebe and Kenji, too?"

"I have a feeling Phoebe is unavailable this morning," you chuckle. "But I'll call the guys. I'm sure Kenji will say yes as long as Akaashi's in."

Within the hour, Kenji and Akaashi both arrive. Kenji nearly praises you like a goddess for coming up with an excuse to keep the two of them together for the day.

And whatever you did, must've worked, because at the end of the night, the two of them walk off together.

You watch them leave with the sun setting in front as you wipe down one of the last tables. In the distance, you hear Bokuto saying goodbye to Al and wishing him a safe drive home.

Despite how you hear his footsteps drawing closer once the two of you are alone, you still get startled to hear him call out your name.

"Huh?" you ask, looking away from the window.

"I was saying, I think it's clean," he chuckles as he looks down at the spotless table.

"Oh, yeah, probably," you smile softly, realizing this is the first time you've been alone with Bokuto all day. Meaning now's the time to have your talk with him.

"Hey, uh, I saw you with Aimi at the party last night. The two of you are getting pretty serious, huh?" you change the conversation just like Kuroo had done the night before.

"No, not really," he shakes his head.

"Aren't the two of you..."

"No, not anymore," he replies as he sits down in the booth beside the table you were just cleaning. "We stopped all that once you told me she was dating your ex. Thought that'd be kinda weird... But I've been spending some time with her because she's sort of going through the same thing. Her grandmother died recently, too. So I guess that's why we gravitated towards each other in the first place."

"Shit, I'm sorry, Bo," you shake your head. "I had no idea."

"No, it's okay," he answers lightheartedly. "Besides, she kinda caught on to my feelings for you."

"For me?" you repeat, thinking you must've died and went to heaven. Finally, he's admitting his feelings for you.

No words come to your mind at the moment. Instead, you grab his cheeks and press your lips hard against his. He moans softly at the sudden kiss and grins softly against your skin. He then pulls you onto his lap and kisses you back.

When he pulls away, he looks up at you with curious eyes. "Does that mean you feel the same way?" he asks nervously.

"Only since like forever," you smile as you wrap your arms around him and hug him tightly.

"Seriously?" he chuckles. "And that whole time I never noticed?"

"You were pretty oblivious, yeah," you smile back as you lean away from the hug you had given him. "But I guess so was I."

"Seems we're on the same page then," he answers.

"For the first time in a long time. Yes," you reply as Bokuto wraps his hand behind your neck.

"Good," he replies quietly before kissing you again. "I like being on the same page as you."