6. the first bonfire [l]

the sky transitions itself into this orange pinkish colour as the sun sets. it was truly a phenomenal view. me and mila left for the bonfire together at around 6. she wore this white and blue checkered top with a pair of converses. she also styled her hair with a hair curler, which gave her seemingly flawless hair even more curls. 

she noticed me staring as we walked, "what?" she snapped at me. i stuck my hands into my pockets, "nothing." i said as i looked up. 

we gathered up with our groups. i walked over to a table with s'mores ingredients. a guy from our group was also there. if i could remember, i think it was kai. 

"sup." he greeted me as he handed me a piece of marshmallow. i hesitantly took it and stuck it into the roasting sticks. "thanks. kai, right?" "yup, lucas?" i nodded my head. 

like i said, i didn't plan on making friends, but this guy gives off the biggest golden retriever energy despite having jet black hair. we sat down on a log together, roasting our marshmallows. "so, how do you like camp lakewood so far?" he turned to ask me. "honestly, i really like how peaceful it is." "me too," he agreed, "but once the kids come, trust, it's going to be noisy." 

i laughed, and for the first time in a while, it was a genuine one. what he said wasn't funny,  but i could feel that he was a nice person and he wanted to talk. 

the brightness of the luminous flames reflected on our faces, giving them a yellow orangish tint. 

suddenly, he yanked away his stick: we both burnt our marshmallow. we started laughing as we pointed at the burnt marshmallow, which had turned into a big black ball. 

we tried roasting the marshmallows again, and this time, we succeeded. we returned to the s'mores station to assemble them together. "by the way, who's your cabin mate?" he asked. i put a graham cracker on the paper plates, "this annoying girl. her name's mila." he stopped and gave a small chuckle, "oh, i talked to her this afternoon. she seemed chill tho." i gave him a glare, "yeah right." i mumbled under my breath.