16. friends [l]

after the kids went back to their beach house, us four went back to ours. we sat down on the vintage looking dining table and just talked. well, they talked. i just kind of listened. i felt so odd the entire day because of mark. at some points, my hands wouldn't stop shaking. 

"you guys want to order something?" kayley asked us as she got up to look for a phone. "i'm kinda craving pizza...." francis groaned. it was only nine pm, but we were all worn out from the long day. the pizza came really quick, mainly because there was a pizza shop twenty minutes away. 

we ate the pizza and found some boardgames in a cupboard. as i cashed out all of my remaining cash in monopoly, all the girls laughed at me. "no way you just lost all your money in MONOPOLY." kayley said as she tried to catch her breath from laughing. "oh my god, this has to be the funniest thing ever." mila said in between laughs. her laugh was the contagious type of laugh, and her dimples showed when she laughed. 

in the midst of all the laughter, it felt as if time slowed. i know i told myself to not make any friends, but these people make me truly feel like i'm home. at peace. maybe, just maybe, this friendship could last. 

i felt a nudge on my elbow. it was mila. 

"you okay?" she whispered to me while looking at the girls. i let out a sigh, because what's with everyone asking if i was okay or not? i'm fine. "i'm just tired." i quietly told her. she was about to whisper something back when kayely interrupted, " mila, it's your turn." 

the rest of the night went by like a blur. maybe i really was tired. maybe it was from the occasional out bursts of laughter. the adrenaline from the fair slowly worn off of everyone, and everyone started to become tired. 

around 11pm, we all went back to our rooms. 

i started to lay a layer of bedsheet on top of the folding couch when mila bent down next to me, "hey uhm, i can take the couch if you want. you should take the bed." i gave her a weird look, "why?" she fiddled with her fingers, "just, i don't know. you seem tired." i continued to fit the bedsheets onto the couch, " i'll be fine. go to sleep, mila." she mumbled something under her breath that i couldn't hear. 

i'm not fine.