You Mean It?

Last part for now! Personally, this was always my favorite chapter of the story. I think it's me at my best, and I'm super proud of it! Enjoy!
-Jooostan

The Fierce God Given Life
Chapter 12: You Mean It?

This was Link's first time entering the Gorman Track. Riding atop Epona, he observed his surroundings before hesitantly making his way to the two fellows standing by the main shack and the large fence. The two men reminded him of Ingo back in Hyrule. He figured they were just as cruel and shady as he was. Regardless, he approached them on Epona.

"Is that pathetic thing your horse?" The brother by the fence said as soon as he got a look at Epona. "I would've guessed that little thing was a mule fer sure, ain't that right, little brother?"

Link was immediately protective of Epona. She was young, of course, but she was the greatest steed he could ever ask for. But the brother hardly agreed with the idea.

"Do ya think a horse that pathetic would gallop if you urged it forward? Or would it run faster if you gave it a slap?" The brother by the shack laughed at Link.

"This guy's funny!" The other commented. An idea popped into his head, and idea on how to con who he thought was just a simple little kid. "Why don't you give us ten rupees for the chance to race against us?"

The other chimed in just a second after. "If you win, we'll give ya somethin' nice, kid."

The two snickered before the one at the fence asked Link. "What'll you do?"

Link, the desire to defend his amazing horse, accepted the brothers' challenge without a second to really think. The brothers smirked at each other and the three prepared themselves. Soon they got to the track, and the Gorman Brothers deployed their own horses. They were a lot bigger than Epona, but it hardly fazed the Hero of Time.

The timer counted down, and when it reached 'one', both brothers hollered in unison and slapped their horses. The race had begun. Observing the track, Link guided Epona towards the inside of the first loop to gain a better advantage.

The brother to the right noticed Link overtake him and he started slapping his horse endlessly. Poor thing.

Rounding the first corner, some trees came into view. Without needing to be ordered, Epona moved out of the way of the incoming trunks, and one of the Gorman Brothers got held up behind one. Soon after, Link spotted some fences on the inside area of the track. Those scoundrels must have anticipated a racer taking the lead by the inside and put them up to force them out!

The Gorman Brothers thought they had Link on the ropes but were taken by complete surprise to the see opponent horse leap over the barriers on her way and keep on maintaining her lead. The brothers were forced to weave through the fences, their steeds far too bulky to make the jump over any of the obstacles before them.

Link was nearly home free, until some dirt pits scattered across the final span of the track made Epona jump over. They were barely a problem for the quick and nimble mare. After that, just a few more fences stood in Link's way, which he and his steed overcame with ease.

Reaching the finish line, Link could barely hold back his giggle when he heard the brothers yell out in anguish at his victory. Returning to the shack area, both brothers held their heads and writhed around, making it clear that they were sore losers.

"I can't believe we lost!" The oldest brother exclaimed. His younger brother chimed in when they calmed down.

"Big bro, I wonder if we can give that to this guy?"

The older brother thought for a second before coming to a conclusion. He may have been a greedy and shady businessman, but he was also a man of his word. "We gotta give him something. Well, he's a kid, so what could he do with it. It should be fine..."