20: Breaking In

As the days passed, creeping closer to breaking my father out of the Sanctuary, I became anxious. The anxiety alone made it hard to sleep and when I did sleep I had nightmares. Not all were bad but they still weren't what I wanted to dream of. Those consisted of Daryl and Negan. After finding out that Daryl purposely broke my heart I didn't know who or what to believe. My nightmares consisted of subconscious fears that I tried to not think about.

I longed for the feeling of being in Daryl's arms but I couldn't trust him with my heart. I yearned for Negan's comfort but I couldn't trust that he'd kill more of my friends. What was I going to do?

What I could do was focus on other things and I was currently set on breaking my father out of the Sanctuary. I had a plan—not all that well thought out, but it was a plan.

The days that led up to Daryl's and Jesus' mission I trained myself harder than I had ever done before. I pushed passed my limits and built muscle that I didn't even know I had! My stomach, arms, and legs were toned more than ever. I looked dangerous which was exactly what I wanted.

Oscar and Enid presented me with a bow of my own since my other one was still at the sanctuary. In my spare time I made my own arrows and even modified my quiver to hold my sword. I was prepared for this mission. All I had to was wait.

I knew that if Daryl or Jesus found me lurking about they wouldn't allow me to join the quest so, I planned on climbing over the wall and sneaking my way to the sanctuary on my own. It would take a while but I could run it. I had the strength and durability to do so after my training.

That evening after eating dinner and sharpening my weapons I retired to my room. I slid on a thin jacket Maggie gave me before deciding to braid my hair back in strands to keep it out of my face. Next, I used charcoal from the fire to paint around my eyes and on my face. Last thing I wanted was for someone to recognize me inside the Sanctuary. In the end it didn't matter because I was not going to allow any witnesses to be left alive.

Carefully, I snuck out of the bedroom window, making my way towards the back wall where there was very little security. Jumping up to a branch I pulled myself up. I continued climbing until I was above the fence. Then I secured a rope around the base of the tree before throwing the rope over and descending down the wall. I released a slow breath as I checked my surroundings before quietly slipping it the forest. When I was satisfied that I was a safe distance away from Hilltop I began running. My sword and arrows bounced on my back along with a black duffel bag as I wove through the trees. I held the bow in my hand as I ran. It made it a bit more challenging to run but it was useful to push walkers away. After two and a half hours of running and jogging I came to a stop, catching my breath along the tree line of the Sanctuary before sneaking closer. A lump formed in my throat as I became anxious. What if I was caught or if Negan saw me? What would I do?

Now isn't the time for this! Stay focused, Ruby! I scolded myself.

From where I crouched a few guards were visible. One guard stood at the top of the stairs, exactly where I needed to go while three others paced around the courtyard. The guard on the stairs had to go first. Arching back an arrow I carefully aimed through the fence. I had to be precise and quick! Otherwise I'd blow this entire operation. Counting myself down I released the arrow which took down the first guard. Quickly, I arched another arrow and aimed at the guard closest to me. I waited until he turned his back before shooting him directly through the head. The other two guards staggered off so I took this as my chance to climb over the mesh fence. The tricky part was maneuvering over the coiled barb wire at the top.

I hissed as I cut the palm of my hand. Blood trickled down my fingers as I cautiously snuck my way over to the guard nearby, dragging his body out of sight. Patiently I waited for one of the other guards to near before shooting him through the neck. The man gargled on his blood as he collapsed to the ground. I carefully drug his body over and relieved both of the men of weapons, ammunition and military bullet-proof-vests that the group could use. Also returning my arrows from their bodies to my quiver. Detaching the quiver I hid my bow and arrows amongst the two dead mean in the dark corner.