.5

Stirring the drinks, Payback smiled at Lara as she entered through the canopy doors of the hanger

"They've got no sugar." Called Payback as he greeted Lara with a smile and a warm mug of tea. "But you're sweet enough, girl." He winked, jokingly.

"Oh, she is way out of your league boy." Called Coyote.

"Way out of any of our leagues, gentleman." Added Hangman as he turned back to smile cheekily at his fellow badge.

Lara took a seat adjacent to Phoenix, who smiled at her brightly. Lara did notice it took some distraction though as Phoenix had her eyes glued on a certain Bradley Bradshaw before Lara approached.

Lara Mitchell had done well to avoid any form of conversation with the male behind her. However, she knew what would be eventually coming.

Warlock entered, causing all lieutenants to straighten. "Morning." He stated, whilst Lara smiled and waved subtly at Hondo - who tried to keep a straight face, but waved back at his favourite cadet.

Bradshaw observed the greeting.

He smiled slightly, remembering his friendship with Lara Mitchell.

"Welcome to your special training detachment. Be seated." Warlock instructed. "I'm admiral Bates, NAWDC commander. You're all top gun graduates. The elite. The best of the best. That was yesterday." He stopped for a moment. "The enemy's new fifth-generation fighter has leveled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure we no longer possess the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box." Warlock paused once more, observing those before him. "Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader. The other half will remain in reserve." He informed. The instructors could sense the unease between the cadets. "Your instructor is a top gun graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master." Lara knew what was coming by the footsteps alone. "His exploits are legendary. And he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced. What he has to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death." Lara only hoped Bradshaw would not let this get between him and a successful career ahead. This programme, this mission, would be the making of him. "I give you captain Pete Mitchell. Call sign: "Maverick.""

Lara watched the lads around her cringe as they recalled their actions of throwing her old man out of the bar last night.

"Fuck sake." Groaned Hangman as he realised not only was the man approaching the one they had thrown out last night, he quite obviously was father to Lara Mitchell sat behind him, and had witnessed Hangman be a cocky fuck yesterday. Not that it mattered, but Hangman noted that his most recent actions would set him on the back foot without needing to state the obvious.

"Good morning." Her pops introduced. He looked at her briefly, for comfort and confidence. Lara smiled gently. "The f-18 natops." Maverick called as he held up the thick book. "It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside and out.