Chapter 4

"Do you two want to share a room or do you need to be separated?" Sarah asks Luke and I.

"We can sleep together. It's okay."

"Just one request," Luke says. "I want some pizza."

I'm laying with him on the couch in the living room and I elbow him in the ribcage. He chuckles.

"I just know you so well," Sarah says, "that I already ordered some pizza for you. It'll be here in like 5 minutes."

He smiles a toothy grin. "That's why I like her better," he jokes. Standing up, he stretches. "I'm gonna go grab our bags. I'll be right back." He leaves the room.

"So what time are we leaving tomorrow?" Sarah asks me.

"I told Esperanza to meet us at ten. That good?"

"Perfect."

I hear the front door open and Luke walks upstairs. There's a thump when he sets or bags down. He comes back into the living room. He snuggles up next to me, wiggling until he gets comfortable.

The doorbell rings and Sarah gets up to answer it. She comes back minutes later with a box of pizza in her hand. She sets it down next to us and he gently and playfully pushes me off him. He grabs the box of pizza, opens it up and grabs a piece.

))

I yawn. "I'm gonna head up to bed. G'night." I walk upstairs and go into the guest room, shutting the door behind me. I bend down by my bag pulling out my sweatpants and a t-shirt. The door opens and Luke walks in. He shuts it behind him.

"You didn't have to go to bed with me."

"I know but we don't get to sleep together enough and I wanted to make the most of it. I like holding you." He smiles at me.

He sits down on the bed and I change into my sweats. I can feel him staring at me and I blush.

"Are you gonna change?" I ask.

"I was planning on sleeping in my boxers... For your benefit." He chuckles at himself.

"Why don't you put sweatpants on at least. I have a feeling Dylan is gonna come wake us up... I don't think you want him to see you in boxers."

"I really don't," he stops. "Okay. Yes, Honey."

"I've trained you well." I stick my tongue out at him. This is why we hardly ever fight. He always just lets it go.

He walks over to his bag and grabs his sweatpants and a white t-shirt. He changes quickly and lays down, waiting for me to join him. I pull my hair into a messy bun and snuggle up next to him.

He flips me over to face him and kisses me slowly. A piece of hair falls out of my bun and he pulls it back behind my ear. "You know I love, right?" He asks.

I nod. "Yeah. I know. I love you too."

"And you are amazing and beautiful. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

I blush, burying my head in his neck. He kisses the top of my head and I soon fall asleep.

))

My hands are tied behind my back, my mouth duct taped shut. Luke stands in front of me, his face swollen and bruised. I notice he is keeping his weight off of his right leg. Something must've happened. I try to yell but it's no use with the duct tape.

A devilish looking man walks in. Something small and black in his hand. It's a gun. What's he need that... never mind. I gulp. He comes to stand in front if me. He smiles creepily. His greasy black hair shines in the light.

He presses the cold barrel to my forehead. It's okay. I'm going to be okay. Here we go. I close my eyes and a muffled scream comes from somewhere in the room. I look up. It was Luke.

"No please. Don't. Shoot me. Don't hurt her. Please." His voice sounds distant, like it isn't even coming from him. It's raspier than usual. He seems to be struggling for air.

The man smiles bigger than before. "With pleasure."

He walks over to Luke and presses the barrel to his forehead. Luke looks at me innocently. He mouths "I love you" and the gun goes off.

I sit up in bed, screaming. Luke shoots straight up next to me. Oh. Good. He's here, alive. That's a relief. His hand rubs my back. I turn towards him wrapping my arms around his neck. I burry my face in his neck, breathing his scent in.

He's here. He's okay, I keep reminding myself.

"Are you okay?" He asks, pulling back enough to see my face. He wipes away the tears streaming down my face with his thumbs.

I nod, swallowing hard. "No. You aren't. Look at you." He presses his lips to my forehead, lingering there. "What was it?"

"A bad dream."

"I know that. What happened?"

"I don't really want to talk about it."

"I can't make it better if you don't tell me what happened."

I don't talk for what seems like forever. I finally take a deep breath and explain it to him.

He twirls a fallen piece of my hair between his fingers. "You know that wouldn't ever happen. I'm gonna be here to annoy you forever. I promise you that." He pulls me against his chest, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I love you, so so much." I press my lips to his.

"I love you too. Go to sleep."

"I don't know if I can now."

"I'll protect you. I'll protect us. Don't worry babe."

"I still can't."

"Do you want me to talk to you until you fall asleep?"

"Would you? That'd be so amazing."

"Okay. So um... how long are Lexi and Dylan staying at our house?" He asks.

"Let's see. Today is Sunday, Thursday is the plan. We don't know for sure yet."

"Why are we watching them. I'm mean I'm fine with it but why?"

"Sarah and Chris are going to Kansas City for three days and then they want to be able to sleep in for at least one day after that."

"Speaking of which, where was Chris tonight?"

"He went out drinking with his buddies."

"Probably to avoid us," Luke mumbles.

I giggle at him. "Yes. I am very sure that's why."

"So... I'm out of stuff to talk about."

"Luke, I'm scared."

"Scared? Scared of what? That dream coming true because I can assure you-"

"No. Not that. This. Us. This is sorta my biggest fear in life. It's also what I am most excited for, but I'm more scared."

"Us? What about us?"

"Getting married and having a family and I'm just scared. I don't know that I can do it. That I can handle it, financially, physically or emotionally. I'm just scared. I know you can tell me that you will never leave me and I trust you, but you can't tell the future. You don't know that. I am sure you would never leave me because well, I'm pretty freaking amazing."

"Damn right. And you know what. I can't promise that I will love you forever, or that I won't ever leave you, or that our kids will turn out like we want them to, but I can promise this: I love you right now and I can't imagine my life without you. All I want in life is for you to be happy and if it takes my love and my presence in your life for that to happen then I will make sure I'm there. If it means you never want to talk to me again, goodbye. What I'm saying is that I will do whatever it takes to make you happy because I love you to the moon and back an infinite number of times."

With that promise in my head, I can sleep easily.