Chapter 20

I feel kisses on my neck and hear Luke's voice in my ear. "Good morning."

I roll over to face him and take his face in my hands, pulling his lips to mine. He pulls back with a smile. "I'm going home today. We're going home today."

I smile at him. He is so happy. "Yes we are," I say. I get off the bed and go to my bag in the corner of the room. I pick it up. "I'm going to get ready," I say.

"Hurry. Doctor Adams is coming soon."

I walk to the bathroom and pull out my clothes. I grab jean shorts and a black tank top. I get out clean underwear and a bra and change into my fresh clothes. I pull my long hair into a low bun. I put on eyeliner, deodorant and perfume before walking back into Luke's room.

When I look up I see Doctor Adams with a nurse. Luke is sitting up in bed. "Everything looks good," she says. "Good morning, Autumn. I think you get to take him home today. There are rules you have to follow however." I sit on the bed next to Luke. He takes my hand. "Your brace only comes off to shower. Be extra careful with your scar and stitches. We can make an appointment with your closest physician to take them out next week. No sexual activities until they come out." She winks at us.

"Fuck," Luke says under his breath. I roll my eyes at the comment.

"Take aspirin as needed and ice your ribs. We do want you to gain some weight back so keep eating. If anything looks wrong, give us a call and we will get you back in. Okay?"

"Okay," we say in unison.

"Autumn, if you would follow me, we can sign his discharge papers." She smiles as I follow her to the nurses' station down the hall. She grabs a clipboard of paper and signs something.

She slides the clipboard to me. "Sign on this line," she points to a line.

I sign my name. Autumn Reynolds. It feels great to sign that.

"You're good to go. I can walk you two out." I start to walk away. "Autumn, I know what kind of guy Luke is. I know he's going to want to get up and do work. He needs to take it easy. Make sure he does." She grabs a wheelchair from behind the counter. We start walking back to his room.

When we arrive I grab our bag from the corner of the room.

"I'll go grab my car," I say. "Meet you out there?"

"Sounds good," Luke says. I noticed he changed into the clothes I brought for him.

I go downstairs and out to the parking lot.

I quickly find my car. There weren't a lot of people here when I got here so my car is close. I throw our bag in the back and get in. I drive up to the front door where Doctor Adams and Luke are waiting for me, Luke in a wheelchair.

I park next to them and go around to help Luke in. He stands up and hugs Doctor Adams before walking to me. He has a smile on his face. I know he's excited to get home. I open his door and he sits down on the seat. He pulls his legs in and says my name. He pulls me down to his level. "We," he kisses me "are going," he kisses me "home," he kisses me.

"We are," I say and kiss him.

I shut his door and walk to Doctor Adams. "Thank you so much. For everything."

"You're welcome," she replies. I hug her. "You'd better get going. He's ready to leave."

I nod and walk to my car. I start it and we drive away. We drive home, together.

))

When we get to our house and pull in the garage, I go to Luke's side of the car to help him get out. I put my hands out and he grabs them with a smile. He walks inside as I grab our bag from the backseat.