The Forest (3)

Cass had worked well into the evening. She had eaten her breakfast bar and finished her water off long ago, but she did not want to go back. She was working on getting a particularly difficult piece apart. 

The machine was rusty and old and a lot of it had been an easy job but sometimes, like this piece, she really had to work at it. She was on her last resort tactic, which means hitting the damn thing with her hammer as hard as she possibly could, which was pretty hard. 

Cass may be a woman, but that did not mean much by her strength. She learned to rely on herself for a lot of things and that required her to be tough.

She was just thinking that tomorrow she was going to have to bring something bigger or maybe fire would do the trick, when she hit the piece at the wrong angle and it bounced off the ground, hit a rock, and then sailed right into her forehead. Cass fell backward out of surprise and landed on her back. The hammer flew from her grasp, landing a few feet to her left. 

She lay there in shock for a few moments. The hit was not hard, but landing backward had knocked the wind out of her. She stared up into the sky and noticed with some surprise that the sun was about to go down. She only had another hour or two of daylight. She wished for the first time that someone would help her. Just help her get this damn thing taken apart so she could go back to her bed and stay there.

Cass lay on the ground staring at the lowering sun for some time. The leaves were just starting to change colors. She grabbed up handfuls of the leaves she lay on and threw them into the air. For a moment they stood still. 

They stood still as the sun shone through the trees and highlighted the blazing fiery colors. Then the wind took a hold of them and they twisted above her head in a delightful dance. She could see them. She longed for her sketchpad. 

Then, the wind thrust them back to the ground and she remembered why she was out there in the first place. The wind turned harsh and bitter against her skin. The colors seemed to flow back to grey.

Back to the task at hand though. As she was thinking about which tool would crack the piece, she heard a noise. A strange noise, almost like a wheezing or a groaning in short bursts. At first she thought nothing of it. Then as it grew louder she realized she had never heard that noise before, all this time she lived here, in the woods, she had never heard that noise. What if it was more of the metal things? Quickly, she sat up and looked around just in time to see a police box appear out of nowhere.

"Am I hallucinating?" she muttered. She was shocked to hear her gravelly voice. It only then dawned on her that she hadn't spoken for weeks. 

Only moments after this realization, the door to the box was violently pulled open as a tall, skinny man peered out. He seemed to look surprised at where he was.He looked at the sky and at the trees and sniffed the air. 

Finally, his eyes came to rest on her and a huge grin appeared on his face. Cass suddenly felt self-conscious at how ridiculous she must look peering up at him from her position on the ground. Then Cass became afraid, what if he owned the metal thing? What if he would be mad once he saw it destroyed? 

Cass started to crawl backwards slowly as the strange man took a few steps out of his box. He looked like he was about to say something when his eyes came to rest on the ground where the remains lay. The man stumbled backward in surprise, then looked up at Cass with an expression of confusion mixed with anger and horror. Cass started to back up quickly now, or as quick as you can while crawling backward, but nearly immediately backed up into a tree.

Cass looked over at where her hammer had fallen. The man looked also, and that seemed to get him moving. He ignored the metal lying on the ground and her hammer and came marching right up to her. Cass tried to get up but she was suddenly feeling woozy. Silently, she cursed the stupid metal piece that hit her in the head. 

It won't be the thing that gets her killed in the end. Not after all this  work.