𝟎𝟎𝟏. 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐣𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐝𝐮𝐧𝐧

𝐍𝐨𝐰 𝐥𝐨𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠. . .

CHAPTER ONE: MEETING JARED DUNN

       DONALD "JARED" DUNN DIDN'T KNOW HIS parents. Like most orphaned children, Donald went into the system — going from home to home until he was eighteen years old. Many of these homes were unsafe places for the minor child; his foster siblings, cousins, aunts, and uncles always spoke unkindly about him. His foster parents weren't neglectful but were not supportive. Donald learned many years later – he was only placed in half of these homes as beneficial gain. Donald believed he was at fault for many cases throughout his life.

Despite the emotional trauma and his dark past, Donald grew to build walls. Becoming unaware of the remarks from those around him.

Just about everyone treated him like an annoyance. However, Donald wasn't a simple man. His brain held wealth, and he was so well put together no one would expect any cracks. In a sense, Donald was needed, and that gave Donald a sense of belonging.

After getting his bachelor's, Donald moved to Silicon Valley years before Kit, and it didn't take him long to get a great job working with the extraordinary Gavin Belson. His success meant everything, and Donald finally found a reason to live.

But let's be honest, Donald disliked Gavin's selfish personality and the need to feed his ego. Just like everyone else, Gavin ignored Donald most of the time and, of course, had given Donald the name Jared as Gavin only glanced at Jared's paperwork, misreading Donald for Jared.

Gavin saw Jared as nothing but a tool to build his business. Thus, Donald became Jared. The socially inept assistant of Gavin Belson lived day by day, not realizing he had replaced his colorful vision for black and white goggles.

Jared lived his life with no fundamental movements, not particularly thinking much about it, but the only best part of his day was heading to Coupa Cafe.

A small woman whose name tag read "Kit" always made his coffee. They didn't speak much to each other, yet Jared was fine with this. There was something about her that Jared could spot. A gift, perhaps. Jared knew the woman who threatened an elderly couple before him – held something only a few could have.

She made his latte in silence, and he watched, holding his wallet and phone between his large hands. He delighted in watching her pour the espresso into a paper cup. It indeed relaxed him before a long day at work.

Today, Kit wore a black sweater, and her hair sat on top of her head in a ponytail. Her makeup was done just a little, and she had added a touch of newly purchased lipgloss to her look. She didn't appear angry this day, but he could tell something was bothering her.

The attention to every detail made Jared feel like he was a creep. His eyes attempted to look elsewhere, but he made eye contact with a gentleman with shoulder-length hair and glasses. This stranger must have noticed Jared gazing at Kit. Clearing his throat, Jared fumbled with the first button on his shirt, feeling comfortless by this man's death glare.

The small woman walked to the pickup area and placed the coffee cup in front of Jared. She glanced up at him but, again, kept her words to herself. Jared gladly took his latte and turned the cup around to see his name written in pretty cursives and a heart exemplifying the period at the end of his name.

"Thank you," Jared said, raising the cup. Kit looked at the cup and then silently placed her attention on him. He wasn't hitting on her or hoping to become romantically involved; however, something told him he needed to be friends with her. "You always make the best drinks. I could say, you mocha me happy!"

While Jared chuckled at his joke, Kit's face went unmoving. She did not laugh or break her frown.

"You make – because mocha....your skills make me..happy...okay," Jared spoke with embarrassment once he realized Kit wasn't laughing with him.

"Thanks. Now excuse me. Someone is waiting to order," Kit says before moving back to the register.

"I want a free coffee," spoke the man coolly, the same man who had been eyeballing Jared.

"For the fifth time, Gilfoyle, I'm not giving you free shit!" Kit spoke through gritted teeth.

This stranger named Gilfoyle explains that he'd call HR on Kit, and Kit argues that she will hack into his database and send out any ridiculous photographs Gilfoyle might have from his youth to his long-distance girlfriend, Tara. This prompted Gilfoyle to think about his choices in words then he pulled out his wallet to hand over a five-dollar bill. Kit snatched the bill out of his hand, rang him up for a black coffee, and put the change into the tip jar. Gilfoyle clenched his jaw.

So, this man with the scary glare wasn't her boyfriend but a friend. Maybe not friends. Jared couldn't tell by the way the pair interacted with each other.

Kit slammed the cup filled with coffee in front of Gilfoyle and gave him a perky grin.

"You're a bitch, and I hope your app fails like you," Gilfoyle said before sipping his coffee. He then knocks over the small tray holding the company's business cards. Kit leaned her hands against the curve of the counter, tilting her head as Gilfoyle decided to turn, "I'll see you later for game night," he said over his shoulder as if their interaction wasn't hostile.

"Bye, Gilf. See you later," Kit called out as the door opened and closed.

"You can code?" Jared's mouth moved before he could stop himself.

Kit placed her eyes on him, still standing in her previous position. She shrugs.

"I'm an engineer and developer. Hacker for those who might need it."

Jared moved in front of her, not taking his eyes away as his fingers helped scoop up some of the cards and place them back into their holder. Kit didn't say anything as she took small glimpses back at him with a strange expression.

"I work closely with Gavin Belson over at Hooli, and we have been looking for new engineers to help —"

Kit perched one hand on her hip and raised her other hand to interrupt Jared from continuing. Hooli and Gavin Belson made Kit's skin crawl. His business a leach — sucking the poor dry, while Gavin only cared about his self-image and money. The last thing she wanted was to work for that man and his mindless robots.

"Let's stop right there," Kit lowered her hand. "You are going to offer me a position at Hooli?"

Jared nods with a broad smile, but it quickly vanishes once Kit laughs a throaty laugh. It was loud for someone her size and quite amusing.

"Gavin fucking Belson," Kit spoke between her laughter, moving away from the counter to continue cleaning some of the equipment. Jared stood in place as Kit dismissed herself. Out of conflict, Jared tapped his index finger against his cup.

No one has ever had that reaction to Gavin Belson before. What a bizarre woman.