𝟎𝟎𝟐. 𝐤𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐮𝐫𝐞

APRIL 6, 2014

CHAPTER TWO: KIT'S FAILURES

    TWO YEARS AFTER MEETING ERLICH, Kit spent most of her free time building her app while working hours at a café shop. The pay humbled Kit's spending habits but gave her enough time to work on her app, which meant little to nothing, as she recognized her failures to launch it.

Her job could be complained about since she saw her career slipping, but what got to Kit was her roommates. They were all men. Male coders who Erlich had sniffed out during a time of crisis. She had grown used to the constant bickering, unclean bathroom, and months-old leftovers in the fridge. However, what she couldn't get over was the fact that she was surrounded by men who were too similar to herself. Each individual an outcast in the population of Silicon Valley. Sure, their personalities were different and their backgrounds interesting; however, they were all identical in many aspects.

Life wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. Two years can make a difference, and with all the hard work Kit had put in, she believed within those two years, she could make a dent. That wasn't the case.

Home Life wasn't getting any traction, and there were too many flaws within the coding that kept Kit up for months. When she pushed out the idea to companies, hoping they'd use the apps beta to see Home Life could better the lives of others, it didn't work out as planned.

No matter how she came at these companies, they pushed her idea down, and no one wanted to fund an app with no real traction. It all came crashing down, and her disappointment became evident to Erlich as she slammed the front door, dragged her feet into what used to be a standard living room, and slumped down into her seat.

The others inside the room stopped typing and focused on the woman curiously. In the middle of the living room sat a normal-sized dining table filled with laptops and desktops. Each seat held assigned ownership, Kit's being directly in front of Dinesh Chugtai, and beside her sat Richard Hendricks.

"It didn't go well, huh?" Richard questioned, playing with the sleeve of his navy blue jacket. Kit spoke to him the night before about a meeting. Despite her failures, Richard encouraged his friend, and she considered that she could finally get the break she deserved.

Kit threw her head rearwards against the back of her chair and blew out a heavy sigh. Before she could confess her adventures, Gilfoyle placed his headphones on his desk that had been pushed into the far corner of the room. He liked his space, away from the others. Preferably away from Dinesh. The man crossed his arms over his chest, ready to boast that he was right.

"I told you," Gilfoyle spoke in his usual bored tone. "The idea is stupid, and no one will buy it – let alone use it."

"You don't know what you are talking about! Someone will use it!" Kit argues, lifting her head to look at Gilfoyle. "Someone will buy it, and some people will use it."