36. Breakfast

The tension was high. You followed Ghost into the kitchen and watched him put down the bag as he got himself a glass of water. The sun was shining into the room and left everything illuminated in a warm hue.

"What's in this?" you ask him, trying to easen up the mood.

"Crossaints..." he grunts, still not facing you and just staring at the sink whilst he sips, lost in thoughts. This was all bit too much for him. The way his heart stopped when the voice echoing through the speakers at the entrance wasn't yours but some blokes. The way his anger grew when he saw your patched up hand.

"Oh my god from the french bakery downtown?!" you told him about them once, when laying in bed. You wouldn't have thought he remembers that.

He nods as he puts his glass down and turns around to face you, standing really still and tense.

You open the bag and look at the most perfectly shaped crossaints you've ever seen. There were 3 of them, and also a little glass with their homemade marmelade. Raspberry. Your favourite.

You looked at Ghost, honored by this little gesture of his, but he just looks at the opened bag now. His eyes looked glassy and zoned out. You walk over to him and carefully touch his wrist, trying to get his eyes to look at you. When they do, you can hear him inhale sharply. Your hand goes for his hand now and you try to hook your pinky with his.

"Why the bodyguard...What occurred..." he mutters, taking your whole hand instead of just doing the pinky thing and looking into your eyes.

"I was followed home a few nights ago...From the club...And the person would not back off..."

He looks at your hair and tries to take in every detail of your face. He really missed you, a lot. He can't say these things but he can show them, by little acts of service like bringing your favourite crossaints to the table. You sure understood that message, he thought. He wouldn't do that for just anyone.

"Did he touch you?" he mumbles, looking at König entering the room just now.

"No I managed to enter my building and lock him out...Then I called Rick, and he got all of this rolling. And to be honest, I feel like it's a really good idea by now. At first I was skeptical but...It has happened before, with men following me after work..."

König put down the towel he used to clean the last bits of mess in the corridor, and looked at the crossaints on the counter. Checking them out in curiosity. Ghost watched his every move.

"Right." Ghost replies to what you've been saying.

"You were gone, I didn't hear from you" you now rest your forehead on Ghosts chest. König understands what's going on and leaves the kitchen again in quick steps.

"Mission wasn't as easy as I thought, shit went down south..." he rasps as he strokes the back of your head slowly.

"But you're okay?" you speak into his chest, inhaling his scent. Today there was no fragrance on him, just the smell of tobacco & a faint hint of pines, probably shower gel.

"As okay as can be when I get home and see the pearl hurt---" he gulps at his own words now, not having noticed before. Home. You both stood still for a second, and then you smiled at his choice of words. You already guessed by the way his body tensed up that he said it by accident, but you liked the sound of it.

"Your place. And I see you hurt. What happened there?" he corrects himself as he taps your injured hand softly, continuing to hold it and take a good look.

"Well...The pearl was very drunk yesterday and cut herself on a piece of glass. She also started a fight with a famous actress over a lost glove that ended up being in my bag." You admitted. He stroked your hand and nodded silently.