𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐲𝐚𝐥 & 𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐝 ~Part 2 of 2~

HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THE SEASON 2 S&B TRAILER?! I'm SO excited!

Ps.  In this version, since the Darkling doesn't ever fully die, he still has his powers. Keep that in mind as you read. Love you all and enjoy part 2!

"Aleksander," I choked out.

The closer I examined his face, the more I saw the similarities. The sharp jawline. The posture. The facial expressions. It was definitely the Darkling, and I suppose there could still be some Grisha who are loyal to him, a Tailor clearly being one of them. It was unsettling to see him wearing the wrong face.

I tried to speak, but I was still frozen. He guided my hand to his shoulder and the other to his waist. This wasn't a vision or visitation. It was him. Alive and unharmed. "You should be dead," I spat out shakily. "I–I stabbed you. We burned your body."

"Did you?"

We glided across the floor in unison with the other pairs, dancing to the music.

"See, despite how much you try to hide it, you are secretly glad I'm not dead. You've felt empty these past months even at your tracker's side. He wasn't enough. I am the only one who can fill that void. There are no others like us."

I finally gained my composure and retorted, "I am not like you." My voice grew quieter. "At least not anymore. I'm not the Sun Summoner you were obsessed with half a year ago. She's gone."

We continued to glide across the ballroom like we were skating on ice. I kicked myself for thinking about how Aleksander is a good dancer; how he makes it such an effortless exchange, twirling me on time with the other guests spinning their partners in unison.

"We'll see," he purred seductively in my ear. There was a hidden door behind a velvety curtain on a far wall. Before I could question what he meant, he discretely yanked me out of the crowd, through the secret entrance, and plunged us into darkness. It made me remember how well he knew the Grand Palace, all its secrets and inconspicuous corners. It all happened so fast, I had no time to react. I gasped as he trapped my arms under his and put one gentle hand on the nape of my neck. I began to feel shadows intrude my body, infecting my mind, making me slowly but surely shut down. I stumbled, my efforts at escaping him becoming lulled. I fell against his chest and he held me up with one strong arm. "You can't just. . . I won't let you. . . take me—" I mumbled incoherently.

"Shhhhh," the Darkling soothed with pursed lips against the sensitive skin behind my ear. "I'm going to make you powerful again, then everything will be as it should be. Just let the shadows in. Let them put you to sleep."

I was too tired to feel the extent of my horror. My legs gave out, and his arms snaked under my knees and around my back, hoisting me up to his chest before I could fall. I tried to push him away and squirm out of his arms, but the flame of energy within me had already diminished. My vision went blurry, and my head lolled back. The last thing he said was, "Sleep well, Alina." His voice sounded so far away as I slipped into a forced sleep in the shadows.

" His voice sounded so far away as I slipped into a forced sleep in the shadows