𝐉𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮

OKAY so I think I am in love with this short story more than all of them combined! This might be the last story for a while because I am continuing The True Saint. It is also a whole 37 pages so enjoy ;)  (Skip this one if you don't like the Darkling as a parent) but here is a little backstory:

The Darkling and Alina, ya know. . . went at it. . . at the Winter Fete. She runs away, same events as in Shadow and Bone, but she has a child. Alina believes that if she gives up this child to people she trusts, the baby will be safer than if it lived with her since the Darkling is still hunting her. This works. . . for about a year. Then, Shu Han invades the village Alina's child is being kept in. And the story starts here:

I⃞ᴛ ᴡᴀs ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ peaceful day; people were outside in the sun doing their morning chores, when suddenly, the sunshine disappeared, replaced with a cloud of dust and smoke

I⃞ ᴡᴀs ᴀɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ peaceful day; people were outside in the sun doing their morning chores, when suddenly, the sunshine disappeared, replaced with a cloud of dust and smoke. Screams were heard off in the distance. "They're coming!" someone yelled from outside. That was when it started. "Get Kira! We have to go!" yells Adira, a Tidemaker which Alina entrusted to keep her child safe.

Giving up her child was the hardest thing Alina ever had to do. Every hour of every day, she wanted to run to Kira and hold her, but no one was safe around Alina. Not to mention, Alina would do anything to make sure the general never knew about this child. So, after Alina gave birth and named her daughter Kira, meaning beam of light, she gave up her child to a couple who she knew would protect Kira. The couple were Grisha, but also loyal to Alina in their religion. At first, Alina didn't like the idea of sending her child away with religious zealots, but they were deserters of the Second Army, unloyal to the Darkling. They swore to protect Alina's child with their lives, and they did just that.

The first year of this plan went as smooth as can be, however, the Shu Han had different plans. They invaded Caryeva. This town was close to the border, yet still considered Ravka. Everything had been quiet, until the day when the Shu decided to take the territory back as their own.

Owen, Adira's partner who also helps take care of Alina's child, sprints through the house, grabbing Kira from her crib. "It's okay little one," he whispers. "You'll be alright."

The doors burst open to their small abode, two Shu warriors, a man, and a woman, came in. Owen and Adira fight like they've never fought before, but it isn't enough. They are both slain, leaving the crying infant alone and frightened. The Shu man walks up to the child and raises his axe.

"Wait!" the Shu woman, his wife, cries out suddenly.

"The child is Ravkan! Our orders are to leave no one behind."

"I don't know," the woman says. "She looks like she has a little Shu in her. Look at her eyes." The infant was indeed part Shu, as is Alina, but they didn't know that. They only knew the small, part Shu child in front of them, it's little hands reaching out for someone to comfort her.