Fixing a Mistake

"What did you do?" John said accusatorily as Fin walked back into the squad room.

He held up his hands in defense. "Hold on. What're you talking about?"

"I know you did something stupid. Liv was practically blowing steam out of her ears when you guys walked in this morning."

Fin sighed, regret still heavy in his chest. "I said something."

"Mhmm. And what did you say?"

"She already talk to you?"

John shook his head. "That's beside the point. What. Did. You. Say?"

"I turned her down."

"Excuse me?" the older man spluttered.

"She asked if I felt the same way she did."

"The opportunity presented itself, and you didn't confess your undying love?"

Fin froze, but cracked under his older partner's glare, confessing shamefully, "I, uhh, basically told her it didn't matter what we felt because we shouldn't mess up our friendship over a one-night thing."

John let out a low whistle. "Frankly, I'm surprised she didn't shoot you on the spot."

"Don't lecture me, Mr. Four Divorces."

"I know you're lashing out because you're experiencing emotions for the first time ever, but don't be cruel. Do you admit you made a mistake?"

Fin sank into his desk chair. "I love her, alright? I have for years, and you know that, but she doesn't love me. I won't do something that could cost me the little I have of her."

"What if it wouldn't? What if she loves you? What if it works out?"

"Let it go."

John shook his head. "You don't get it. What you said hurt her, Fin. It just confirmed everything she worried about for years. Do you have any idea what it took for her to confess how she felt about you? If you don't do something, you'll lose her either way, friendship and all the potential for more."

"I'm not good enough for her."

"Is anybody? You'd do anything for her, though, wouldn't you? You admire her beauty and her intelligence. You know she's independent, a lot like you, but even independent people need someone to lean on. You work well together. Most importantly, you love her. You want what's best for her. No matter what that looks like."

"And what if we give it a try and it doesn't work out?"

John shrugged. "What if it does?"

Fin shook his head, giving a reluctant smile. "Where's your cynicism when I need it, old man?"

"That should tell you how much I believe in it.

"You make me so mad sometimes, you know that?"

"Aww, Fin, sweetie, I'm blushing."

"Shut up and go back to your work."

"Go back to your Liv."

"Oh my-I can't be expected work in these conditions."

...

"Liv!" John shouted.

Olivia turned on her heel even though the elevator had finally opened up. It looked like she wouldn't be headed home quite yet. After a long, fruitless day of work, too much paperwork, and the torture of seeing Fin across the squad room, she wanted nothing more than to curl up on her couch to drink something strong and watch trash tv.

"What is it? Did we catch something?" she asked tiredly, trying not to snap at the man.

"You've gotta get back in here right away," John told her.

She eyed him skeptically as she returned to the squad room, seeing that someone had turned out all the lights in the minutes since she'd walked out.

"What's going on?" Olivia asked. "John?"

He had seemingly disappeared into thin air. She stopped in the doorway at a scattering of lit candles on the detectives' desks. "What's with the fire hazard, Munch? Are you trying to romance me?"

It wasn't Munch standing in the dimly lit squad room, though. It was Fin.

"What's going on?" Olivia asked softly, unmoving from the doorway.

"I'm so sorry, babygirl."

"For what? You spoke your mind, Fin, told me how you felt. It's my fault I got hurt."

"No, I was scared to lose you, and I didn't think about how my words could hurt you. I didn't want to hope for anything more because I've been telling myself you didn't want more for almost twelve years."

"What are you saying?"

"I've didn't expect to fall in love here. I didn't expect to meet the most amazing, compassionate, intelligent, fiery, gorgeous woman, but I did. I fell in love with her in this squad room. I fell in love with you."

"You love me?"

"I do, and I have for a long time. I love you more than anyone or anything in this world. Will you give me another chance? I can't promise I won't mess up again, but I want to try, I do."

Olivia took a tentative step forward. "What changed your mind?"

"Munch of all people. He reminded me how much you matter to me and how giving this a try is worth it. I'm sorry I didn't see it before."

"It's okay, but Munch? Really?" she asked with a smile.

Fin laughed. "He's a regular old matchmaker."

Olivia continued further into the squad room, moving until she was toe to toe with him. "I love you, too, Fin," she whispered, leaning in closer.

He dipped his face down to hers, pressing his lips to hers in their very first kiss.