Then Comes a Baby...

A couple months passed, and one day Olivia came out of the bathroom, holding up a box of tampons, looking bewildered.

Fin shrugged and turned back to the TV and his video game. "Don't look at me. I didn't take them."

She rolled her eyes. "I know you didn't use up my tampons, Fin. I've got another problem."

"What's that?"

"I missed my period this month."

"Okay."

"That means-"

"Your cycle is irregular?"

"Oh my God. I'm going to the drugstore."

He paused the game. Why? Oh hell...

"Wait, you could be pregnant?"

"Yes."

Fin scrambled off the bed to follow her to the door. She already had her shoes on and keys and wallet in hand.

"Babygirl, I didn't know that was a possibility. You acted like we were okay without protection."

"Excuse me? I never said I couldn't get pregnant. I told you I hadn't been with anyone in a long time, everything checked out at my yearly physical, and I didn't get my prescription for birth control refilled because the idea of sex terrified me for a while after Sealview and I was over 40, so..."

"You lied to me?"

"I never lied to you. You know what can happen with unprotected sex. Are you mad at me? I thought...you know I want a family."

"Kids? I thought this was enough, the two of us being together."

She shook her head. "I going to go to the drugstore. I, uh, I guess we need to talk, but I have to take a test before I drive myself crazy over nothing."

...

"What's it say, babygirl?" Fin asked with his heart in his throat.

Olivia came out of the bathroom, shrugging. "It's negative."

"Okay, okay."

He guessed he sounded too relieved because she glared.

"Don't jump for joy."

"Babygirl, a kid's a big deal. That's something we should talk about, should've talked about before."

"I thought you were on board. I don't know how to deal with this right now. I'm sorry."

She tried to push past him, but he grabbed her arm. "Liv, hold on. We can't just let this go. I want to be clear, I like our life how it is, moving in together and getting married someday if that's what you want. But what we have is good, isn't it?"

Olivia got teary-eyed. "I wanted to be a mom. I know the odds are stacked against me, age and all, but I wanted that, and I thought you knew. I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to deceive you."

"No, I shouldn't have implied that. I know you weren't trying to trick me. It's just that I'm happy with where we're at."

"I'm happy, too."

"Liv, if this is a deal-breaker, I don't want-"

"No. No, of course it's not. I love you."

"I love you, too. Maybe we should talk about birth control?"

"Yeah. I can go back on the pill."

"Okay. We're good?"

"We're good."

...

"Did you ever want kids?" Amanda asked.

Olivia shook her head. "I did when I was younger, but I think I sort of passed that point in my life. How about you?"