Hospitals Are Quiet

I woke to the sound of quiet beeping. The light burned my eyes. A few voices found their way to my ears, but I couldn't identify them. My head was shot with a pain and I groaned.

"Marshall?" Once of the voices directed itself to me. I tried to open my eyes all of the way but it was proving difficult. "Marshall? Can you say anything?" I wanted to reply but my throat was sore. All I could manage was a grunt. The voice shushed me and a hand rested itself on my forehead. It gently brushed the hair away from my face.

"Sir, he needs rest. I will notify you when he is at a sustainable level," Another voice, deeper, gestured outward. This was so frustrating! I couldn't speak and let these people know what was on my mind! My brain screamed out words and sentences but my mouth refused to let them free. It kept them trapped in the back of my throat and I felt as if I was about to hurl. My stomach twisted itself into knots and I felt heat rise up my throat. Thats when it hit.

The putrid smell of recently eaten food that was once in my tomach was now spread across the bed I lay in. The odor flew through the air and into my nose, tempting me to throw up again. A soft sigh echoed to me and careful hands began cleaning up the mess I had made. I wanted to apologize but once again, my mouth didn't allow it.

"Don't worry Marshall, it wasn't your fault,"

It was.

"Your stomachs just out not working properly. You've been doing this for days." Days? Days! I grunted and tried to lift my arm.

"I'm assuming this is your first interaction with this while being consious. I'm sorry,"

Sure you are. You're probably laughing like an inconsiderate asshole. I shouldn't say that, I wouldn't know.

"Just relax and I'll try to help your stomach control itself," He chuckled and soon his heavy footsteps were disinigrated into the air. I was alone.

Dammit.

I mean, I'm used to being alone but this was an all new form of alone. I was in tremendous amounts of pain and I felt as if I was going to send my lungs flying from my throat.

A mirror sat boringly to my left, cracked and pieces missing. It caused my reflection to appear unattached. My face was pale and my eyes were puffy.

With a shaky hand I tried to touch my throat. It burned whenever I breathed in. It was warm from today's recent activities. The smell still sat in my nose.

"Marshall," I looked up steadily. "you have a guest," right as he finished his sentence, a woman fixed in a tight business suit with her hair in a bun walked in the door. Her high heels clicked and her eyes pierced the air around her.

"Marshy!" she squealed and ran over to me, wrapping her arms around my torso. I grunted from pain and my eyes grey wide as her arms snaked around me.

Mother.

"Oh, it's so good to see you,"

Bullshit.

She let go of me and studied my face, expecting smile of some sort I would guess.

"I don't expect you to be happy to see me," she crossed her arms across her chest. A scowl formed on her aged face. "but at least have the common decency to reciprocate a hug to your own mother!" she shouted much quieter than usual because of the setting we were in. "God, I thought I raised you better than that..."

You didn't raise me at all.

"It's probably a pleasant thing that you can't talk," she snickered. By then, I was getting incredibly sleepy. My eyes were heavy and my breath was low.

"Excuse me, ma'm?" the doctor poked his head in the door. My mother spun around and glared at him.

"What?" she snapped.

"You need to leave and let him rest," he slightly cowered behind the door frame. That's not going to help you pal.

"Yes, alright," she sighed and smoothed out her blazer.

Finally.

I closed my eyes and listened to get heels click, click, click, away from me. Soon, I couldn't hear anything.

The next time I woke, Gumball was fast asleep in a chair to me right. The sun from the window burned through the curtains and onto him, creating shadows on my bed. Soft snores coups be heard from him as his chest rose. I smiled softly and wished I could hug him and let him know I'm okay.

Y'know, hospitals are quiet.

But I like that.

SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG! But now that it's summer, I'll try and update more frequently. I hope this chapter was okay for you guys. Love you all!