Who Is Jennifer, Love?

My eyes slowly blink open. "It's 3 am, love," I hear Nik, whisper to me. I wrap an arm around my belly. "Yesterday, was the scariest day ever. Thank you for staying with me. You didn't need to. I'm sure you have more important things to do," I whisper to him.

"You are carrying my daughter. Nothing could be more important than that," He says and rolls over and face him. I slowly put my hand on his cheek, my thumb gently toying with his bottom lip.

"You have a question. What is it?" I ask him. He sighs and I can tell he is having an internal battle with himself. "Who is Jennifer?" He asks me. I looked away from him, my thumb stopped playing with his lip.

"Love?" He asks me, and I close my eyes. "She's my sister. She loved pretending to be one of the big girls. One day, she overheard us talking about going to check out the old abandoned school buses. We had all arrived and she surprised us. I told her off and then told her to go home. I thought she did. We, my friends and I went exploring. When we noticed it started to rain, they left for home. I heard my name being called. I walked over and here she was. We started to play a quick game of hide-in-seek. She climbed up on an old bus. I warned her and yelled for her to come down. She thought I was joking. Jennifer tripped, fell off, broke her neck, and died," I say and pull my hand away from his face.

I looked away as a tear fell down my cheek. I could only hope he didn't blame me as my mother did. We used to be so close, till Jennifer's death. She couldn't help but blame me.

"Love, look at me, please," Nik whispers to me. I slowly look over at him. He wipes away my tears. "I had a little brother. His name was Henrik. He died when he was 12. It...I was responsible for him...he got too curious..." He tells me.

"It's ok," I whisper to him. He nods and we both just look at each other. I stare into his dark blue-green. The eyes I wish our daughter could have. He slowly takes my face in his hands, his thumb plays with my bottom lip.

He slowly leans in and looks from my eyes to my lips and moves in closer. And he kisses me, and our lips touch and it felt like fireworks. His lips took charge of mine and it felt amazing. After a couple of moments, he pulled away from my lips and gives me a quick peck. Before pulling me close to his body, his head rests on top of my hair.

"Don't leave me," I whisper, I hear him chuckle. "I'd never, love," and with that, we curled up into each other and went back to sleep.