Chapter 4, Part 1 - It's Electric!

The Blackout

July 13th, 1977

"Jimmy, how do I look?" Jacqueline asked, smoothing out her dress in the living room mirror at Jimmy and Margaret's place. The orange number fit her like a dream, haltered on the top with a scooped neckline and flowing out at the skirt, swishing with her every move and sway. Jimmy looked his sister up and down with a hint of a scowl.

"You look fine. Why you all dressed up anyway? Nobody's coming to the show to see you!" Jimmy asked, giving his baby sister a hard time.

"Don't worry about why I'm dressed up!" Jacqueline clapped back. "You need to be worried about what the hell you're wearing. I know you're not wearing that tonight!"

Jimmy shrugged in his plaid button-up and jeans.

"I think this is just fine, we're just going to sit in some theatre."

"It's not just fine. You're going to hang out with the Jacksons." Margaret said, coming into the living room in her robe, rolling her eyes. "I laid you out an outfit, go change."

"And if I don't?" Jimmy challenged. Margaret cut her beloved a look and a stare-down ensued, Jimmy backing down first. "I'll be back."

Jimmy disappeared into the bedroom and Jackie did a twirl for Margaret.

"Do you like this outfit or should I change?" Jacqueline asked, fishing for approval. Margaret was the best sister figure Jacqueline had and she took her role seriously, trying to support her as much she could as Jacqueline stepped into womanhood.

"You look beautiful, Jackie. The orange looks great on you. You gonna keep your hair down? I can pin it up a bit for you, I think it'll give you a more mature look."

"Sure. You know you're the only person allowed in my head."

"Sit down, let me grab the hair stuff."

Jacqueline pulled a chair away from the dining room table and sat, tapping her nails on the table and smoothing her skirt. She couldn't believe that in a matter of a few weeks, she had gone from trying to not freak out on the dancefloor to socializing with a celebrity on the regular. After the arranged meeting at Estella's, Jimmy had talked Michael into letting him and the girls tag along to a party for the broadway show Beatlesmania down at Studio 54 the following night. For the first time, the trio didn't have to worry about whether they made it in the door, waltzing right in with the hottest young artist in America. Michael was shy and quiet at first, trying to hang back and watch the crowd instead of being in the mix, but ultimately was pulled in by the group. The group of three loved going out dancing and were lowkey showing off all their best moves and before long Michael was on the floor putting them all to shame. He was sweet once he let his nerves down, and fit in well with the group once he let his childlike joy and humorous side out, and Michael realized through their rapport that they were just like his own siblings, just less country. Shocked that the group had never seen The Wiz, he invited them to come with him and his big sister in two weeks, after they settled from moving. Having had enough time to reflect on what was developing here, Jacqueline was nervous for the first time in this whole ordeal. The star-struck feeling that she had been able to bypass and stuff down so far (perks of growing up in a jazz club in New York City) was beginning to flutter around in her stomach as she anticipated the least spontaneous outing with Michael yet and meeting Latoya, his striking big sister.

"Let me see what I can do.." Margaret said, entering back into the room with a little basket of combs, pins, hair accessories, greases, and gels. She looked over Jacqueline's blown-out curls, envisioning a nice style, and sucked her teeth.

"You sure you can't come today? Michael said he would be able to get you a ticket if you wanted, I think." Jacqueline asked.

"I'm sure. I can't miss my aunt's birthday or you know I'd be there! See if you can cozy up to him and get us more tickets for another day. They rich enough!"