Chapter 13 - The Way We Were

May 1987

"Jesus help me."

The sound of waves crashing on the beach helped to soothe Jacqueline as she laid back on a reclined patio chair, bathing in the rising sunlight. As she watched the water swell and break over and over through the muted view of her sunglasses, she hoped to herself that one of the waves would take with it the awful nausea and malaise she was experiencing. She took deep breaths as she rubbed the growing tummy that was poking out of her baby blue Persian silk robe. There were a few things that an opulent vacation in the South of France couldn't cure, and Jacqueline was finding out that morning sickness was one of them.

The quiet she had found catching some fresh air on the balcony of the villa was gently startled by the sound of the door to the adjoining bedroom sliding open.

"There you are." Michael's voice said in a low sleepy voice, poking his head to find his wife laid out, wiggling her toes in the sunshine.

"Here I am," Jacqueline said, turning and waving weakly from where she sat. Michael, donned in the same blue pajama pants from the night before that hung casually on his hips, had thrown on a loose white t-shirt to shield himself from the sun's rays. He opted for a relaxed look, letting a few strands of his slightly lengthened hair escape the confines of a low ponytail, framing his cheeks in disarray after a peaceful slumber.

Michael hummed a low chuckle as he came to join her, settling into the recliner beside her. His gaze roamed over her condition. Jacqueline's curls, usually cascading down, were now gathered into a bun atop her head, pulling her hair away from her face and revealing flushed and clammy skin.

"I woke up and couldn't find you. You alright, baby?" he asked, grabbing her hand while staring at her with his brown eyes full of compassion.

"Yeah, I'm fine." the lady sighed rubbing her tummy gingerly. "Your baby has me feeling a bit shitty, so I came out to get some fresh air."

"Now you don't have to talk about my son like that," Michael admonished, leaning down slightly to address the belly. "She doesn't mean it, little Peanut. It's not your fault."

"He's right, Peanut." Jacqueline laughed, pulling down her glasses to address her bump. "It's your Daddy's fault for putting you there. I can't even sleep in on vacation without getting ill."

"My poor baby." Michael sympathized while doting on her, combing some stray curls back into her messy bun with his fingers. "Can I get you anything?"

"No, babe, I'm good. Just sit with me."

"I can definitely do that."

Michael grabbed her hand and gave it a light kiss before settling into the recliner next to her, getting comfortable and holding her hand between the two chairs. The couple sat silently for a few beats, Michael joining his wife in some deep breathing while enjoying the beautiful view that his hard work could afford them. He was grateful for a break in his busy schedule to spend some much-needed alone time with Jacqueline; the night before he had driven straight from the set of his Smooth Criminal short film to the airport runway to board a private flight with Mrs. Jackson clean across the world for the getaway. No kid, no siblings, hardly any staff, just Michael, his baby, and the other baby that was on the way.

Michael sported a grateful smile as he gave her hand a squeeze, "Happy anniversary, Jacqueline."

"Awww," Jacqueline cooed, turning to gaze at her husband, fighting back her hormonal emotions as he reminded her. "With how I woke up and all, I almost forgot. Happy anniversary, Michael."

"Oh, I could never forget, Jax. It's like it was yesterday, you coming down that aisle, lookin' like a little angel in your white. All that big hair." Michael recalled, gesturing with his free hand, making Jacqueline giggle.