Chapter 14, Part 3 - The Afterparty

Jacqueline's Harlem apartment was a familiar haven, with the soothing melodies of soul music, contagious laughter, and billowing smoke adding to the ambiance

Jacqueline's Harlem apartment was a familiar haven, with the soothing melodies of soul music, contagious laughter, and billowing smoke adding to the ambiance. The trio huddled together on the couch, engaged in an animated discussion about distant recollections.

"That was Ricky, not Terry, Jim."

"Jacqueline, I'm TELLING you it was Terry. I remember because he had that fried-ass conk in his head at the time. That shit was flopping in the wind when he ran out of the park," Jimmy insisted, passing a well-rolled doobie to Margaret, who observed the sibling banter with a quiet smile.

Jacqueline rolled her eyes playfully. "I promise that you're wrong, but it's fine."

"Yeah, I know it's fine, dummy," Jimmy retorted with a smirk.

The siblings exchanged knowing glances before bursting into laughter, their hands intertwining as they shared the joy of the moment. Despite the lingering weight of the evening's events, Jimmy was determined not to let his sister succumb to despair. Instead, he had orchestrated a much-needed trip down memory lane with a few drinks, a little food, and some herbal relaxation.

Through the banter and reminiscing, Jacqueline found herself momentarily transported back to simpler times, when the only thing that mattered was the bond between her and her siblings. It was a welcome respite from the turmoil of the evening, a chance to reconnect and find solace in each other's company.

But as more time passed and the clock ticked closer to dawn, Margaret began to stir, a hint of weariness creeping into her expression. She glanced at Jimmy, her eyes silently pleading for him to acknowledge the lateness of the hour.

Jimmy, however, seemed reluctant to leave, his gaze fixed on Jacqueline with a mixture of concern and reluctance. He knew that his sister was hurting, and he didn't want to leave her alone in the aftermath of such an emotional night. Jacqueline had kept her spirits high for appearances, but he could tell from the silent cab ride home and far away look on her face between the laughs that her head was somewhere else.

Jacqueline could see the exhaustion in Margaret's eyes, the silent plea for respite. With a heavy heart, she reached out to her sister-in-law, offering her a reassuring smile. "You should go, Margaret," she said softly. "You need your rest."

Margaret hesitated, torn between her desire to stay and her need for sleep. But Jacqueline was insistent, her eyes filled with understanding and gratitude. "I'll be fine," she reassured them both with a smile. "I promise."

Before heading out, Margaret gave Jacqueline a tight hug, leaving behind a clear message for her sister.

"Don't let this keep you up at night. Just make sure the next time you talk to that boy, because he will call, get your answers."

"Okay M." Jacqueline responded, receiving the advice.

After a brief exchange of reluctant goodbyes, Margaret and Jimmy finally gathered their things and made their way to the door. Jacqueline watched them go, a pang of loneliness tugging at her heart as she realized she was once again alone.