Chapter 16, Part 3 - Pillars of Salt

"Frank Sinatra?"

"Frank Sinatra?"

"Eh, it depends on the record. He's friendly, but I remember him smelling like cigarettes."

"Mm, sounds about right. Aretha? Looks like we got Young, Gifted, and Black."

"She's an excellent performer, but she can be a real diva. You don't wanna be on her bad side, I've heard."

"Ooh, looks like we got some Marvin!"

"Pass."

Jacqueline's laughter echoed throughout the room as she sat next to a shelf of vinyl records, scanning through them for the perfect soundtrack. It had been about an hour since Michael suggested they light a fire in the fireplace, only to admit he had no idea how to start one. After trying some tips that Jacqueline remembered from her days at summer camp, they finally managed to get a small flame going. Michael was now focused on keeping it alive by feeding it with old newspapers they had found and stoking it. As they searched for more kindling, still tiptoeing around in matching white robes, they stumbled upon Jermaine's small wine cabinet and decided to indulge in a bottle of funky aged red wine while enjoying the warmth of their improvised fireplace.

"We'll come back to Mr. Gaye some other time for sure," Jacqueline said, pushing aside her past crush on the musician to focus on the crooning crush standing a few feet away. A vibrant blue album cover appeared next, featuring four neatly dressed men in brown suits, with one being pushed on a skateboard. She chucked at the cover, admiring the flashy smile on the iconic frontman's face. "Oh, I know this one. Going to a Go-Go by Smokey and the Miracles. My mother adores Smokey; she used to play this record on repeat."

Now she had gotten the fellow entertainer's attention as Michael perked up, turning away from the fire to squint at the back cover, trying to see what songs were on that record.

"I love Smokey. He was always so gracious with his time and advice, and he wasn't a bad sport about us doin' Who's Lovin' You better, and I can't say that for everyone." Michael shared, giving her a wink. "We can put that on if you want."

"I think it's a good start." Jacqueline agreed, getting up to put the record on. Michael watched her walk to the player,

Jacqueline placed the record on the turntable and gently dropped the needle. The mellow guitar strings in the opening of "The Tracks of My Tears" filled the beach house. Michael softly bobbed his head along to the music as he tended to the fire.

People say I'm the life of the party

'Cause I tell a joke or two

Although I might be laughing loud and hearty

Deep inside I'm blue

"This takes me back," he said with a smile, turning around to watch her legs as she strode back over to him. "When we were just kids performing in Gary, we would perform Miracles songs at showcases sometime. Dreaming of making it big one day."