Chapter 17 - Time Waits for No One

December 31, 1977

It was a cruel irony that Jacqueline heard more of Michael's music now, after their breakup than ever during their relationship.

She had always been a fan, but as a kid on the playground during the Jackson 5's peak, she only knew their commercial hits. It wasn't until she got close to the family that she delved into their newer work.

As her relationship with Michael deepened, listening to his music in her leisure felt cheesy; there was no need when he was always in her ear. But now, the universe seemed to give her no choice.

Michael's voice seemed inescapable whether it was on the radio, in stores, or at family gatherings. She paid it little mind when DJs would throw in a little "Dancing Machine" or "Life of the Party" while playing a mix, but it got strange when "I Wanna Be Where You Are" played right as she walked into a convenience store, or when cars stopped at crossing signals blasting singles from the new album multiple times in one day. After Thanksgiving dinner, the family played the Jackson 5 Christmas album, her aunties unaware of her strained relationship with the musician.

By New Year's Eve, Jacqueline was downright exhausted with Michael's voice following her everywhere, as if the blues that filled her mind wasn't enough. A groan slipped out of her lips as she turned on her radio and heard his voice spill out.

You shouldn't worry

About things that you can't control

Come on, girl, while the night is young

Why don't you let yourself,-

"Absolutely fuckin' not," Jacqueline said, shaking her head as she turned the dial to another station. She wasn't happy with the selection there either and opted to switch back to the album she had been trying to avoid playing to death, Once Upon a Time, using the needle to start it up closer to her favorite song.

The persistent throb of disco filled the rooms of Jacqueline's apartment as she scurried back to her vanity, trying to do about five things with the two hands God gave her.

"I wanna hear that I'm beautiful, but you wouldn't say it even if I were. Wearing my diamonds and a coat of fur, you wouldn't say nothin' nice." Jacqueline sang along with the First Lady of Love, sitting at her vanity. As her toenails dried, she alternated between taking down her pin curls and taking bites of her deli sandwich.

The night still felt young, but Jacqueline was on borrowed time as she got ready for the night ahead. The longest year of her life was coming to a close, and she was preparing to spend it with the people she loved the most.

As she carefully unpinned each curl, her mind wandered back to Michael.

The thought of him brought a mix of emotions—warmth from the memories they shared and an ache from the betrayal she couldn't shake. They had spoken minimally since the fallout, and each conversation felt like a shadow of what they once had. Despite Michael trying to bridge the gap with gifts like the pricey Marcel iron hair tools he had gotten her for Christmas, the distance between them was palpable.

She had received his invitation to the Studio 54 New Year's party a week ago, a hopeful gesture she couldn't bring herself to accept. As promised, she had been spending the last few weeks back in the close-knit orbit she started the year in, supporting Jimmy's gigs at Disco Fever and enjoying nights out with her big sisters. Plus, the holiday was going to be a major night for her brother that she couldn't miss, so she couldn't split her time if she wanted to.

No matter what she filled the days with, Jacqueline couldn't shake the emptiness Michael had left behind. She missed the way he could make her laugh with just a look, the way his eyes would light up when he was about to share something he thought was clever. She missed the sound of his voice, the way it softened when he was speaking just to her, a private tone that made her feel like she was the only person in the room.