Twelve

(Seungwon's POV)

"Young Master, the critters just finished setting up the poles in every location you plotted around the school and other areas in this vicinity," Logos reported while we were inside the library. "Once you start casting the spell, you won't be able to use me until it's finished since it will be given the highest priority."

For the past week, I ordered Logos to set up magic poles around the school's surrounding area so I could cast Sanctuary on the whole place. I also told Minister Jang Dong Gun about it, so he told the soldiers to assist me and the critters as much as possible.

Fortunately, they were not talkative, so I didn't have to explain my actions in detail.

"Then, let's do this right away," I replied before chanting the words,

---

"To the Divine Creator, who protects the worlds,
Be our sole witness in our struggles,
Unless this truth falls into oblivion,
And your people deny our existence.

Protect us in your Holy Might,
Give us your Divine Protection,
Shower us with your Blessing,
And let your Holiness be known."

---

"Sanctuary," I cast.

"Casting confirmed. The protection will be completed in twelve hours," Logos reported. "I'll be very busy since I'll serve as a catalyst here, so...you're on your own until then."

"No worries, Logos. Just focus on raising that barrier for me," I replied.

"Consider it done, Young Master," Logos answered before returning to work.

"What are you doing here, Seungwon-ah?" Minji asked while Logos put himself in invisible mode.

"Well...I just happened to see this book about edible fruits and plants in the wild and medicinal herbs," I answered before showing her the book I had with me. "This will prove useful if we need to run away from here."

"A-Are we gonna leave this place?" she asked, trembling.

"There might be a small possibility, but don't worry. I'll keep you all safe when that happens," I replied, smiling while comforting her. "Let's go back."

(Later that night...)

"Oh...you're taking a rest? I'd better go down and close the door so you won't be disturbed here," I commented after seeing Haerin relaxing on the school rooftop.

"It's not as if I own this place, so you can also stay here, Seungwon-ah," Haerin replied, looking at me as she held my hand. "Please. I don't want to be alone," she added, her eyes pleading.

"Alright," I replied. "What's wrong?" I asked after noticing her hand shaking.

"I don't know why, but I don't feel tired, Seungwon-ah. Rather, I feel anxious about what will happen tomorrow," Haerin answered while resting her head on my shoulder. "Two evacuation centers have already fallen to the Automaton attacks. Right now, only SOPA and this school are left among twenty-five evacuation centers in Seoul, so I'm afraid we will be attacked anytime soon."

"As I promised the five of you, I won't let anyone of you get hurt," I replied. "Don't you trust me?" I asked.

"I know, and I trust you, but still...we're only humans, Seungwon-ah, and we still feel fear," Haerin answered. "That's why I can't help but feel that the world's end draws near."

I sighed before putting one of my arms around her shoulder.

"What is your final wish if, figuratively, this is the end of the world, Haerin-ah?" I asked.