chapter 6

"A protected rogue? What is that?" I walked over to the dinner table and sat down on one of the chairs. He came and sat down on the chair across the table from me.

"Well, you know what a rogue is, right?" When I nodded, he continued. "A protected rogue is one that the government can't prove broke our laws. Because of that, they're protected by a special agent to make sure that a vampire won't get mad that they didn't exterminate the rogue and try to do the job himself. No one could prove that Antonio had killed a group of humans, so he was protected and allowed to marry. Jessica died a few months later, and he was exterminated."

"By the government?"

"No." was all that he said. His jaw hardened and his fist clenched and unclenched. That's when I knew that he was the one who had killed Antonio. I decided not to say anything more about it. Luckily I didn't need to change the subject, he did it for me.

"So, do I need to tell your parents that you snuck our or are you going to tell me who that guy was?" He asked.

"Why do you want to know?"

"I'm curious. I heard a bit of your conversation. He knows about us."

"He doesn't know about the vampire thing, only the marriage. I needed to tell someone and he was there for me. There's no one I trust more than him."

One of his eyebrow rose, "Was he your boyfriend? Is this marriage keeping you apart? You guys weren't really clear on that yesterday."

"No, we aren't together. He's my best friend."

"That's not what he wants, though. He wants you. We talked about this last night, when were married we are both free to be with whoever we want."

"Jaxon and I are only friends and that's all we'll ever be." By the look on his face I knew he wanted me to elaborate and I did. "Jaxon asked me out once, and I obviously said yes, but when my parents found out that he'd asked me out they immediately forbade me to date him. They never let me see him until I promised I wouldn't date him. After that I realized that we were just meant to be best friends."

"They knew that you could get serious with him and they would have to force you to break up with him once it was time for me to come. They did it because they love you and didn't want you to get hurt." Once he'd said it, I saw that it was true. I had always been a bit mad at them for forcing me not to be with him. Not because I wanted to be with him so badly, but because of their lack of trust. Now I saw that they did trust me, but loved me to much to see me get hurt. I think that made me love my parents even more than I already did, if that was even possible

"Yeah." was the only thing I could make myself say. I felt stupid for not having thought of this before.

"I have to say, I'm shocked to see you this way." I suddenly said with a smirk.

"Why?"

"I always thought that this Katra person would be some blonde bimbo I wouldn't be able to stand. I never thought that you'd be like this, like me, and so beautiful."