Alone

Matthew Harding had been hanging out with the gang for a few weeks now, but he still hadn't been formally initiated

Matthew Harding had been hanging out with the gang for a few weeks now, but he still hadn't been formally initiated. He was eager to be a part of the group, so when they suggested he prove his worth by spending an hour in the Backlund Roberts Estate, he agreed without hesitation.

The gang drove Matthew to the edge of town, where the old mansion loomed in the darkness. "It's said to be haunted," one of the boys said, his voice quavering. "You've got to last an hour in there. It's the only way you can be part of us."

Matthew nodded, a chill running down his spine. He stepped out of the car and took a deep breath. He had his phone for light, but he was still scared.

The gang drove off, leaving Matthew alone in the darkness. He slowly walked up to the mansion and stepped inside.

The interior was dark and dank, and the walls were covered in cobwebs. Matthew shivered as he walked through the corridors, his phone casting a ghostly light.

Suddenly, he heard a loud creak from behind him. He spun around, but there was nothing there. He paused, his heart racing.

Matthew continued exploring, but the further he went, the more he felt like he was being watched. He heard strange noises and felt a chill in the air. He started to think that maybe this was a bad idea.

Just as he was about to turn back, he heard a voice call out his name. He froze in fear.

"Matthew," the voice said again. It was soft and gentle, but full of an otherworldly power.

"Who's there?" Matthew asked, his voice trembling.

"I am the spirit of this mansion," the voice replied. "I have been waiting for you. You must stay here for an hour to prove your worth."

Matthew gulped. He knew he had no choice but to stay. He took a deep breath and continued exploring the mansion, trying to ignore the eerie feeling that something was watching him.

As the minutes ticked by, Matthew heard more and more strange noises. He heard footsteps in the distance, and the sound of voices whispering. He felt a cold hand touch his shoulder, making him jump.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the hour was up. Matthew ran out of the mansion, relieved to be out in the fresh air.

He looked back at the mansion, feeling a strange sense of awe. He had done it. He had survived the Backlund Roberts Estate. He was officially a part of the gang but deep down he didn't want to be. No experience like that was worth it.