2. proud sinners

song: sugar rush ride // tomorrow x together

Changbin walked hurriedly to the bookshop, clutching onto his thick hoodie to avoid the chill of the harsh wind. September and October brought bipolar weather, the weather shifting between cold windy days and bright sunshine. This week had been day after day of decently cold temperatures, with the occasional wind blowing over signs and scattering the autumn leaves everywhere. That was the one pro of the wind, the delightful crunch of the dead leaves littering every possible sidewalk. It made his daily walk to the bookstore much more enjoyable.

He fished the key to the store out his of pocket, turning the corner that housed the cheery forest green building. A figure was waiting outside, huddled underneath an awning and shivering in their dark brown hoodie. As Changbin got closer, he noted the messy black hair and familiar doe eyes. He quickly unlocked the door, pulling it open and waiting for the black-haired man to scurry inside the comfortable warmth of the bookshop.

As yet another bout of shivers racked the man's small figure despite the oversized hoodie he was drowning in, Changbin rushed to prepare a coffee, remembering the instructions he had had given him the day before. Finishing the hot beverage, he handed the cup to the man, who took it with tiny hands and began to sip.

Attempting to breach the silence with small-talk, Changbin asked, "Why were you waiting outside? It's freezing."

"Oh, I was craving a coffee and this place was nearby, and I guess I overestimated your opening times. I don't like going to crowded places so Starbucks was out of the question, and it's relatively empty here."

"I've been meaning to ask, is there a reason you ran out yesterday? I don't mean to pry, but did I make you uncomfortable then."

He removed the coffee from his lips, and explained hurriedly, "No, I needed to go and I'm.. insecure about my appearance."

"You're really pretty though," Changbin blurted, the haze of sleep still clouding his brain and removing his filter.

"Thank you," He responded, a light shade of pink dusting over his freckled cheeks.

He eventually wandered off, scanning the shelves while Changbin settled back onto his couch. He'd selected a romance novel today, feeling in the mood for some cliché teen love. He immersed himself into the life of the typical nerdy girl, as she wanders through her school day without a single friend. He lived through the twists and turns of her life, like when she ends up partnering with Ryan, the most popular basketball player. Except, that was where the novel leaped out of the predictable storyline. Ryan was a female.

Just as Ryan was finally going to ask out the main character, a soft throat clearing alerted him to the black-haired man patiently waiting on the counter, toting another book. He slid the book over the counter towards Changbin, who automatically scanned the book for checkout.

"I really enjoy this place," The man started in his deep voice, "It's so calming. I wish I'd found it sooner. Books and coffee are just so pleasing, you know?"

"Yeah, I feel you. Part of the reason I decided to work here, unlimited coffee plus thousands of books at arm's reach. Does that mean you'll be a regular here, then?"

"I certainly hope so. I'll try to, if I continue to have free time."

"Mind if I get a name to your face? If you'll be coming here frequently."

"It's Felix."

"Oh, nice name. My friend is obsessed with someone with the same name, funny coincidence."

"Yeah... what a coincidence! Unfortunately, I have to go— I have, uh, work."

"Take care, Felix."

Felix snatched his book, and departed, leaving Changbin alone with his novel.

The next few hours of work went by smoothly, albeit a tad boring. Tuesday was never one of their busy days, especially when the weather was too cold, and Changbin had grown through a habit of curling up on his couch and binge-reading as many novels as he could. Coffee didn't attract any more customers either, as it was only free after a purchase and the Starbucks next door leeched those wanting the drink. Besides, Changbin wouldn't be surprised if some of the baristas specifically told people to avoid the small bookshop, as penance for Jisung's actions.

The small man was a menace, he had to admit, after going through his fair share of bad pickup lines. When Jisung sauntered in one afternoon looking for a job, he was instantly inthralled by poor Changbin just trying to make a living. Months went by, filled with horrid flirting attempts, before Jisung got the memo that Changbin wasn't and would never be interested. Now, the two were good friends— as Jisung was one of Changbin's only friends— and the younger of the duo refrained from flirting except on select days where Changbin looked "too fine to ignore."

In fact, he'd grown so used to the chaotic presence of the man that it was quite lonely the days that Jisung didn't work, something he never thought he'd admit. Jisung had grown on him, his humor and vibrant personality helping Changbin out of the rut he occasionally got caught in when alone.

At least he reaped the benefits of the friendship by knowing when he looked like shit. Jisung was never one to sugarcoat.

Changbin glanced up at the small gold clock that rested on an end table next to the couch, the clock signaling a few minutes til 2 pm. This was the part of the day he looked forward to: the start of Jisung's shift, where he'd get to hear all about the younger's day at his other job, a cashier at a corner store.

A few minutes passed before the door clanged open, the figure of Jisung tightly bundled in a long brown coat and a forest green scarf wrapped around his neck emerging from the doorway.

"Changbin, you will not believe what happened today," Jisung exclaimed, vague hand gestures mimicking his words.

"I'm all ears."

"Okay, so here I was, standing at the counter. You know, normal. But then this lady walks in, and she scanned the isles before striding right toward a customer innocently scanning the price tag on a can of Pringles. She walks right up to him, and aggressively pinned him against the fridge where we hold the beers. I was shocked, and I think I might have said some timid words trying to stop her, but she was on a roll and she looked aggressive and you know I have no physical strength whatsoever. So she's pinning this man against the glass, and he has this expression of pure terror on his face. And you know what she says? She looked him straight in the eye and said 'Fuck me'."

A fountain of water spurted out of Changbin's mouth, and in between harsh coughs he choked out, "What?"

"I know! I was half trying to break them up, half incredibly interested. The position was hilarious, it was like... this.."Jisung stood up and gently pushed Changbin against a neighboring wall, holding onto his wrists and pressing their faces no more than 3 inches apart.

He pressed onto Changbin's wrists with more force, before growling into his face, "Fuck me!"

A shocked gasp several feet away caught their attention.

A middle aged woman seemed to have sneaked unbeknownst into the bookshop while Jisung had been animately retelling his day. She stood in horrified silence, one hand up to her mouth as her scandalized gaze drifted between the figures of Jisung and Changbin, who were still intertwined against the wall.

She pointed to them, and announced in a shaky voice, "Homosexuality is a sin."

The pair stared her back, watching as she took one last glance filled with revolt at the two, and promptly stormed out of the door.

The second the door closed, Jisung and Changbin dissolved into laughter. The type of hysterical laughter that caused them to collapse, holding onto their stomachs as tears flowed down their faces.

book: i was born for this // alice oseman

a/n
using jisung so this story isn't dry? couldn't be me