Chapter 9

He came back home with you that night. Doctors told him his brother will be sleeping for the entire night and will be under supervision. He wasn't allowed anywhere near him so you managed to bring him back home.

Your grandmother was waiting for the two of you. He was tired and so were you. The old woman heated the food for you and asked for his brother.

After a short interaction, she went to the bedroom to sleep. Now it was just you and him in the dining area. The moonlight completely missing from the sky as you glanced outside the window. It was so dark .

"I'll clean up here. You go and take a rest" you heard him say. After the day he had, you didn't know how he could still be so strong and carried on his work like that.

He picked up the empty plates and walked over to the sink. You followed him and took the scrubber from his hands "No. I'll do these"

"I promise I can do these, YN" he said but he wasn't looking at you. His eyes were trained at the water dropping from the tap slowly. You took the dish soap and poured it over the scrub. You started rubbing the plates one by one while he just stood there silently beside you. He didn't say a word the entire time you cleaned the dishes.

Then you moved to rub the counter clean and he still didn't say a thing. You understood he needed time to process everything and you gave him however long he would need. You cleaned everything you saw and then started on to prepare some coffee for him and you. You both needed it.

"Tae" you called his name. He stood by the counter, still looking into a void when your voice reached his ears. It was enough to snap him out of whatever trance he was in.

"Come here please" you called him again, pointing towards the huge window on the other side of the living room. It was a fully glass studded wall that you had designed once you were feeling extra homesick. It wasn't a very suitable reason to make it but you didn't think twice.

It outlooked the entire city from the top and in the night, the illuminating city lights were a scene worth watching. Taehyung joined your side and you patted the cousine beside you. He sat down. You handed him a cup of coffee.

You both sat facing the city through the window. Up from where you were, there was no sound coming from the busy rushed streets but a serene silence enveloped you two.

"I lost my mother when i was 7" you started. Out of nowhere, you felt like sharing one of the most vulnerable moments of your life with him. Maybe because you could imagine what he must be feeling right now after his brother's condition as you've been on the receiving end quite a few times yourself. He could use someone who can understand him better at the moment. You wanted someone as well.

"She had terminal cancer. We didn't have money. We had nothing. My father died when I was very young and the only way we were making ends meet was with a small weaving parlor my grandmother owned" you added. He looked at your reflection on the glass. It was faint but enough to show your expression.

"My mother's treatment was costly. We had to sell the parlor. It was still not enough. We couldn't do anything. She was gone three days after we deposited" you sniffed because a few tears started pooling around your eyes. You never shared this part with anyone. Only your grandmother knew about it because she has experienced everything with you.

"There are not a lot of things I regret in my life. But the thing that pisses me off, makes me feel like a total loser everytime is that we couldn't save her because of a few pieces of paper. It will always stay with me. And when grandma got sick, I got to re-live everything all over again" you said, wiping the stream of tears from your eyes with the long sleeve of your top.