Chapter 1

“You’re my what?” I asked meekly, trying to keep quiet. Momma doesn’t like it when I talk.

“Your guardian angel! Don’t you trust God’s will?” His voice seemed to echo, but it was just as loud as mine. I nodded my head. I have doubts since he has horns, and his wings look like hair, not feathers.

“But horns? You have horns!” I raised my voice slightly, this has to be a temptation, God is testing my faith! I saw a sad look fall onto his face.

“Your parents aren’t good people, they’re corrupting you and in return they’re corrupting me.” His voice cracked.

My eyes widened, I shook my head, my hands trembled as they started to reach my hair. I kept muttering ‘no’ as I yanked my hair like Momma. She always yanked my hair whenever I did something wrong, I felt smooth hands gently tug at my hands.

“Young one, you’re harming yourself. Don’t let yourself be corrupted by the parents you were cursed with.” I let my hands be taken away, he ran his fingers through my hair. I felt tingles and then my head didn’t hurt anymore.

I looked up confused, I heard him chuckle. I felt footsteps above me and I froze. My body began to tremble, I felt the air getting darker. The footsteps came closer and then the door opened. I saw her figure, carrying a bible and a knife. I grabbed his hand and made it look like I was praying, but I whispered to help me. To forgive whatever sin I carried, to give me peace of mind.

“Mary, are you praying! Oh, what pleasure! Finally you understand that only God will forgive you.” I heard her say. Tears slipped down my face as I felt her come closer. I continued to ask my angel to save me, to heal me.

“Mary, be a good girl and take off the dress.” Her voice was stone cold, but I did what I was told. I listened to the verses she said, as she carved them into my back. I grinded my teeth together, hoping that he would save me. I heard both voices, one telling me that I am a sinner, a mistake and the other telling me that he would save me, that I didn’t deserve this.

My mind became jumbled, all I wanted to do was not hurt anymore. After she left, the angel healed the wounds but he said he couldn’t heal them fully because the corruption had weakened him. He sang me dreams of what I wish, of what would happen if I ran.

“Edin,” I whispered, “When I’m out of here I wanna be called Edin.” I looked up at him, tears shining against the soft blue light he shone.

“Then I will call you Edin from now on, and when you are out I will protect you until your time has come.” He responded with, I looked down at the floor and saw my blood.

I had gotten to see it flow out of me. Momma never did anything about it, saying I deserve to suffer for being a sinner. But I’m not, they are.
I looked out the window and the moon looked so pretty, it always made me feel calm. It was a part of me, I asked him for his name, he told me Vega. I told him I liked it short and sweet. Though never mentioned in the bible.

“I am your angel, not anyone else’s,” He started, “You have a power some have, so God himself assigned me to you, Edin.” I nodded, God gave me something no other of my family have so that made me special.