Chapter 12

[Sept 2nd 2021]

"The final votes have been counted," Ms.Watts announced, "and we have a winner! Between the close calls of Frank and Edin. Edin ultimately won!" Someone smacked their hand against their desk causing everyone to look at Frank. He turned bright red and muttered an apology.

"Edin Shaw please come up here!" I stood from my desk and walked to the teacher, who had a box in her hands. She opened the box to show a ring, she carefully picked it up and handed it to me.

It had a round lapis stone, the metal itself was gold, it had a fancy design etched in a dotted background.

I slid onto my ring finger and it fit perfectly, I'm glad it had gold, silver isn't my preferred. It looked good against the school uniform. I felt hands on my shoulder tilting me to face the class.

"A round of applause for your class Alpha," She put her hand on my shoulder and looked directly at me, "As a Shaw you have high expectations from everyone!" The class erupted into noise.

Alright, step one is complete. Next may take longer, I gave a small thank you speech and sat down in my seat again. The class continued and I finished early, the next class came and went.

Pretty soon school was finished and the three of us, Luke, Everett and me, were on our way to visit Kenny and Mercy who were twins. We all were confused on how Lauren got away with that, but we suspected she took advantage of the fact their parents were divorced.

"So! Edin, Everett," Mercy spoke up, "Are you going to invite that Flower boy to your Pack Solstice?" I blinked owlishly, Everett looked over at me. I shrugged.

"I mean-," I adjusted my posture, "We could but..." I looked over at Evs, slumped over, fucking hell! I adjusted my hair, "Yeah, as long as he can go! Then all we have to do is ask him." I heard a couple of snickers, I looked behind me.

After that me and Everett left for my home, he kept babbling on how he wanted to ask. I agreed, I heard my phone buzz and asked for him to pick it up.

Finn: [Hey, I'm at your place!]

Finn: [Sorry] "It's Finn," He told me what Finn said and replied.

Edin: [its evs! we're on our way!]

Edin: [you okay?] "Shit!" The phone started ringing and I told Evs to pick it up, "Put it on speaker." He nodded. The first thing we heard was sniffling, then a hiccup. My eyes widened and I started to panic.

"I only knew-I just had," He was all over the place, couldn't form a single coherent sentence, "I wanted to feel at home." That struck a chord with me, a couple of minutes and we'll be there

"Finn. We're only around two minutes away, if you can walk then climb into my bed. And stay." I looked over at Everett and he nodded.

He started talking to Finn distracting him from whatever that hurted him while I speeded for the first time. It was an empty lane and no one or no thing would catch me. I hastily turned off the car as soon as I parked and got out.

The door was slightly ajar but we didn't think twice about it, our only focus was on comforting Finn. I was shoved forward to my room and I looked back at Evs who started to get out Finn's favorite kind of tea and began to fill the kettle with water. I made my way to Finn and found him curled up on my bed, on his side and silently crying. I crawled towards him and slowly wrapped him in my arms. I could feel that same hidden core, it was so light that I could barely feel it.

"I'm so-" I interrupted him by lifting him up. He wrapped his arms around neck and clung even closer, "You don't need to apologize. We'll be there when you need it." I saw Evs sitting on the couch, I gently put down Finn next to him.

Finn snuggled up next to him immediately, I grabbed the remote and turned on his comfort show. I sat down next to him and crossed my arms. After a couple of hours Finn told us what happened, he and his father had an argument over something. He wouldn't tell us what though and he drove off, my apartment was the only other place he felt safe.

"I'm glad you can trust us," Evs looked at me strangely, "and Finn?" He hummed, he lifted his head from Evs shoulder and looked at me, "Me and Everett wanted to ask if you-if-ugh! Do you want to go-Everett." I heard him laugh at me, I reached over and smacked him upside the head.

"Ow! What they were trying to ask is! Would you like to come to our Pack Solstice?" I looked over at that wolf, he has no damn shame. Could break Covert without even realizing it! Just like Asher, Finn looked at the two of us.

"Are you sure?" I nodded, it felt awkward asking him something like that, "Yeah and have you seen the E&E games? Wanna come? Me and Evs are patrolling, Dave says it would be an easy job for us." He looked happy, he nodded rather quickly.

"I'd love to! I've been meaning to attend one," His arms came out of the blanket, "but I've never had the courage to go!" He babbled on and on, he drifted from one topic to another. It was nice, I looked at Evs who was staring at Finn with-with love.

I dug through his core, I'd never do it out of respect but I felt frantic for some reason, then I came across a piece of magic that confirmed it. I looked up at the ceiling and held my breath, I'm a fucking fool aren't I? I felt tears sting my eyes and I got up, excusing myself to the bathroom.

As soon as I closed the door I had an immense urge to cry, what the fuck is wrong with me? I'm being selfish! I went down onto the floor and opened the cabinet under the sink. I got out a small bottle and chugged it.

"Such an awful feeling? Isn't it," I heard his voice echo in my head, "I can take it away-" I stared daggers in his eyes, I felt my face getting all hot. I got up and looked down onto the sink, "This is the only time I'll commit a sin in my own religion. Instead of being selfish, I'll be selfless. Shut. It. Vega." I went out of the bathroom and closed it with a slam.

"Vega?" One of them screamed out, I responded by just mimicking it. I walked back into the living room to see Finn and Evs leaning against each other. A spark of jealousy went through my mind but I pushed far down.